Mt. Adams, Standard route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: June 13, 2015

Trail Conditions: Please enter, Wet, on the drive up we hit a substantial Thunderstorm but by morning we had clear blue skies. Trail had mud and puddles from just crossing the Hudson to just before the turn off to Adams. Some puddles substantial enough that frogs were calling them home. Normally, I only see toads. Adams trail in spots were brook like and we cleaned a few water bars. In the steeper spots, trail cascades were in the best location for scaling the rocks so hands and feet went right in.

Special Equipment Required: According to my son, his Cabela Gore-Tex boots kept his feet dry, I opted for shoes that, even when soaked, would not give me blisters. Today, a camera was mandatory for use after you were in the fire tower. Bug Spray, very useful, it's mosquito season and with the water from Friday and this week, it will not be drying out any time soon.

Comments: Optional -Stellar day for June, view from the tower is super, Have seen Marcy from several angles and it never looked as pointed as from Adams. (Okay from Lake Tear I am usually looking at how much more I have to climb, not really it's shape....) From peaks reached from the Loj area, it is not as impressive for shape but for it's size. Surprised how few cars were in the lot for Adams and Allen but maybe the storm had people thinking of Allen postponing until water levels come down. Was so muddy and wet, I opted to just cross the Hudson on the ay out to get the mud off. Not the hardest crossing I've done, the others I thought afterwards were unwise. Did not seek a low place to cross, just went in near the bridge and was mid-thigh on me. (6') Fair amount of pull but never thought I was very close to a swim. Was there with my 12 year old son and his friends. When we swam afterwards in the same spot and I said non of them should cross, only one boy had to prove his Dad was a worry-wart. He made it across twice, but it was chest deep in a couple of spots. Opalescent and Skylight Brook would have been interesting.

Mike & Nicholas P., Ben & Tom Smith, Dominic Ward, Eric Kananowicz

[email protected]