Bears in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
In my effort to polish off all the 3000'ers in the Catskills, I've seen several black bears - the past two weekends in a row. Yesterday, coming down Mink Hollow from the West Peak of Westkill I encountered another black bear. I realized I had been hiking very quietly, which is probably why it didn't sense me until I got pretty near it. Soon as it did, the bear took off in the other direction. I gotta remember to make some more noise. Based on the past two weekends, it definitely seems like the bears are out and about.

They are out from March till December, in my experience.

Most Catskill bears are shy. We've never gotten a good pic of one, hike on! :D

usually I see them on the bushwhack, well, really they see me first. Couple of times I've found one following me.

If I'm hiking with just my Lab, she wears a good sized bell, mostly to alert a momma with cubs. I'll usually speak with her in a louder tone of voice from time to time. Bears have an excellent sense of hearing and if they don't hear the tinkling as she runs, they certainly hear me. If with a small group, the usual trail sounds and conversations alert them a long way off. Make a little noise or attach a bear bell to your pack if you hike alone or concerned about otherwise surprising one.

I like when I see a bear while hiking from a distance, they're awesome animals, I just don't want to startle one. So if I hike alone I try to remember to make some noise.
One time in the Adirondacks going up Haystack from Panther gorge I saw a bear that felt like it was the size of a Greyhound bus! It was coming down the trail ahead towards me. I made some noise and it diverted off the trail into the woods. It was so large I thought it might have been Bigfoot! haha

My only concern with bears is a momma with cubs and my dog. We make enough noise, even bushwhacking that they can hear us a long way off.

My only concern with bears is a momma with cubs and my dog. We make enough noise, even bushwhacking that they can hear us a long way off.

Really? My concern are those hungry hungry hippos out there. ;-D

Saw 3 bears hanging out in and around a tree in the descent of Doubletop. I have seen more black bears in the Catskills then in all the other hikes in my life other places combined. Doubletop had more evidence of bear activity than I have ever seen. Doubletop is to bear population what Mexico City is to human population!!