Boundary Peak 6/13/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Parking: 45°15.574'N, 70°51.732'W
Miles: 4.03
Total Elevation: 1,319 ft
Total Time: 2:13

Drove into Canada on Route 27. With 3 questions asked, it was less than a minute to get into Canada. Drove into Gosford Park and stopped at the gate house. The ranger got there just before me, so it appears they open at 8am. It cost $10.25 to get in, but I got away with $10 because I didn't have a quarter. They will only give change in Canadian currency, so be prepared. Followed the park road to the turn for the short road to the gravel pit. Park road wasn't too bad, just some potholes to slow down for. The road to the gravel pit was rougher and would require care with a car. There is a small grassy parking area on the left though about 50 feet past the start of it if you don't want to risk it. All the signs on the road and in the park are in French, so have some idea where you are going ahead of time. The only obvious one is for Gosford itself.

I took the ATV trail leaving the back right of the gravel pit. It forks very quickly and I took a right on the more well used path. This crosses a small brook where I only had to put my feet a couple inches into the water. The trail then heads up steeply over loose rock for a while. It bears left some before leveling out a bit and soon becoming very easy. I saw a deer just into the trees here, but it was too thick to get a picture. The ATV trail leads directly to the border swath. Tracks got both ways on the border, but to the left is much more used. This is the way you want to go.

Follow the border over a couple ups and downs to the summit. There is a good sized cairn on the right of the border swath with some flagging as well. The canister is a few feet into the woods on the US side and can be seen from the swath.

On the way back, retrace your own steps. The turn back into the woods is very easy to spot. Wide opening, flagging, small cairn, and obvious ATV travel.

Entering Canada: Where are you going? Gosford Park hiking. Where do you live? NH. Why are you crossing here? I'm camping down in Stratton for the weekend.

Re-entering the US there were far more questions. It took about 4-5 minutes per car going this direction compared to 1 min the other. I said I had hiked in Gosford Park. He later asked what I hiked there and I responded with Mt. Gosford. I didn't want to push any issues by saying I strolled up the border for a while. He had no issues with any of my responses.

Sounds consistent with other experiences. (Sooner or later they are going to ask you, me, Joe / Jane Hiker some question that you'd only get right if you actually hiked Mt. Gosford :p)

Tim

I guess we need to hope for someone to write a very detailed trip report of Mt. Gosford in here so we can all be prepared ahead of time.