Great Day for a Presi 6/20/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of folks out yesterday enjoying just about perfect weather and conditions up on the ridge. We ran into several larger groups and many small groups and looks like everyone else was enjoying the long views, lack of bugs and nice breeze. It started out cold at Appalachia and when arriving at Madison hut there was frost on the ground. I had been on the fence if I was going to do a full presi of a "lite" version but once we un on the ridge we switched into full presi mode. Although there were lot of folks out on the ridgeline, I didn't run into that many folks I recognized, with a few notable exceptions like Trailtrotter Sue and chance sighting of Doug Mayer in trailrunning form heading in the opposite direction.

We headed up over Washington with goal of not being sucked into the "summit black hole". After a wait in line for water we headed out having spent about 15 minutes. We then headed down to Lakes and scored some of the last snacks of the day which were greatly appreciated. While at lakes we noticed that despite a scree wall that the old closed route of Crawford Path that heads out from the hut seems to be getting a lot of use these days.

As we headed over Monroe the high clouds from the south were starting to come in but views and conditions were heard to beat. On Eisenhower we got our one and only cloud shadow when a puffy cloud went overhead. We also ran into a family from the NW that were hiking with their daughter who had attended Dartmouth. They were somewhat happy to hear that the minimal traverse did not include Jackson as they had gotten a somewhat late start and they were getting concerned that they would be getting down far later then expected.

I definitely think that my dislike for non winter use of the lower Crawford Path from Pierce to Rt 302 is related to being the end of a traverse day. Add in headlamps for the lower part and reinforces my dislike. Despite generally dry conditions recently it feels like every step is a mud hole followed by a rock to slip on. Eventually after what seemed like a hours we came out the parking lot and ran into a few other groups that had finished.

Overall hard to beat the day.

It was, indeed, a perfect Presi day. We must have run into you at some point.

I was poking along as usual so you may have been ahead of me, given the weather I couldn't see rushing. I didn't get down to Crawford until just before 10 PM.

I was going to wear my VFTT short but its getting pretty dingy from year of hiking.

I was poking along as usual so you may have been ahead of me, given the weather I couldn't see rushing. I didn't get down to Crawford until just before 10 PM.

I was going to wear my VFTT short but its getting pretty dingy from year of hiking.

We were northbound, although we may have missed crossing if you skipped a summit loop. I was herding cats, wearing 3" shorts and occasionally bright yellow wind pants. I think this is the first time I've managed to sunburn my calves.

I didn't run into that many folks I recognized, with a few notable exceptions like Trailtrotter Sue and chance sighting of Doug Mayer in trailrunning form heading in the opposite direction.

It was a stunning day above treeline. Really perfect. Good choice!

By the time you saw Doug, he had already run the Mount Washington Auto Road Race that morning before taking to the ridge to run out. :)

Hmm-- We must have run into you at some point (Maybe I passed you at the very end?) I was leading a group of 9 on the traverse for AMC Boston, but I ran ahead with one other person at the end to try to get to Fabians before it closed. We were down about 9:50 ish. The end of our group made it down about 10:15. Here are all my pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/105243421658269737036/PresiTraverse62015#

I'm a bit late to this thread, but have to agree -- it was a pleasure to be on that Presi traverse, 23 strong and divided into northbound and southbound teams. The cat herding (actually, the company was wonderful) was a successful team effort with jniehof, PamW and 6 other great AMC leaders. It's been a few years since the weather was that nice for the annual AMC solstice traverse, and we definitely rejoiced. I'm also thrilled that Mother Nature seems be offering up a repeat for this coming weekend, though I'll most likely be settling for "just" the Bonds this time around.