Garmin GPSmap 62s Connects To BaseCamp Sllllooooooowwwwllllllly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Having a recent issue connecting my GPSmap 62s to BaseCamp. Been fine for years but for some reason it is not connecting today....or at least so I thought. It is actually connecting but going EXTREMELY SLOWLY (as in 6-8 minutes to recognize device and sync in BaseCamp versus the seconds it usually takes. Still sitting here waiting to select "receive from device" to load the track I have in there). The GPS itself boots fine and I get the Windows "twinkle" noise right away and the USB icon appears on device screen. However, Windows is taking forever to see it. I thought it wasn't connecting at all but while sitting in front of PC reading an article I actually realized it was working but slowly.

I did the WebUpdater, reinstalled BaseCamp and nothing. I plugged other devices into same USB port (which I have always done in past) and they are recognized and usable immediately. I assume the fact that Windows acknowledges the connection quickly means my cable is OK (if I fold it around and twist it I don't lose my connection). Have latest software versions and device up to date. Using Windows 8, which I've been using for awhile now. No recent software installations/Windows updates/viruses, etc. I even turned off firewall and antivirus for the hell of it and nothing changed. BaseCamp and the GPS are just talking very slowly but appear "normal".

Any of you gadget gurus out there have any inkling what/where my problem is? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I would first try connecting without BaseCamp running and see if you get Windows to recognize your gps as drive.

Maybe you also have some picture software running such as Picasa that tries to scan your entire gps memory for pictures? Maybe it is antivirus software that tries to read and scan every file you have on your gps? Or maybe Windows hangs reading some directory entries due to memory reading problems?

If you have another USB cable give it a try as well.