old cabin location on Hunt Spur?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umsaskis

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can refresh my memory or direct me to the post that had this - was there not, long ago, a cabin somewhere high up on either the Hunt Spur or in the vicinity of the Abol Trail on Katahdin? I remember at one point seeing an old map that had the location marked, but I also remember that extensive internet searching showed nothing about it, and it was someone on here who posted the location. It's a fascinating piece of history and I can't remember much about it.

After posting, I just found a 1930 map on the web that shows two old cabins on Abol Trail - the Sewell Camp and Garland Camp. It also shows a St. Johns Trail which goes up the mountain on the southeast side, which must be completely obsolete. Does anybody know anything about that trail?

Last edited:
Somewhere in my collection of obscure Baxter Books is an anthology of historical articles of the early history of Baxter. I haven't seen it lately but it has extensive commentary on the early trails on Baxter and how they transitioned to the current network. I guess I need to go digging.