Backcountry Lightning Safety

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info and very standard. One flaw (I think): Figure 8 (the lightning position) shows the person squatting apparently on a pad of some sort, suggesting that being on a pad may be helpful. And of course, it may be. But the text does not discuss that (unless I missed it).

Having spent a considerable time in the High country of CO, I've seen my share of lightning. It is quite frightening to be caught in. There are many situations where your experience and skill can save you in the backcountry, but getting caught in a heavy lightning storm, doesn't make you feel that way at all, at least not me, it scares the heck out of me. My course of action has always been to descend, rather then sit, avoiding anything of size, if I can. The worst I've been in was on Pikes Peak ( Barr trail). My hair was standing up and I felt the energy around me very clearly. I chucked my Trekking poles off trail ( got them 3 weeks later) and ran down. As far as sitting on a pad as referenced in the illustration, I guess it couldn't hurt, but if it gets wet, I don't see the benefit, not that I'm anything close to a lightning expert. It's kind of like Russian roulette, if your caught in it, how good can you be at that? The best advice from my experience, avoidance by weather forecasting before and during your hike.

Good advice and I agree with sierra. I've been caught out much more in NH (where I got my screen/trail name) than CO probably because I'm more risk averse here and the distance to safety is much greater. My wife and I had to do the lightning position thing once between Ike and Monroe, dropping off the ridge as far as we practically could. It worked, I guess. Scary indeed, though not half as scary as the tornado I was a mile from 3 weeks ago, while biking home from work. Never, ever go stormchasing by bicycle. :0