No more access to the Senecas (VT) ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a winter hike of the Western Seneca peak just a few months ago. No sign of restricted access. I go in from Lost Nation Road. I also snowmobiled the trail that goes on Madison Brook road across the base of Seneca in March. So far so good, but it could always change. I have done all 115 peaks in VT above 3000' (110 3k; 5 4k) and I must say in my opinion East Seneca is the toughest in all of Vermont. Just FYI. Super thick conifers and lots of blowdown, especially in the col between the Senecas.
It's a great mountain and one of the most remote places you can possibly go in Vermont.

And just north of the spooky abandoned NORAD radar site on East Mtn.

That place is nuts. So irresponsible how the military just left it a shambles on the top of the mountain. Looks like they didn't bother to clean up a thing. There is literally old insulation and broken wall just blowing in the wind. Definitely a spooky site in the middle of nowhere..

Yup. Pretty amazing. And if .gov does it there just imagine what they do elsewhere. Really a shame. It is very creepy up there but a gorgeous setting that now has some turbines b/c East Mtn. is in a serious wind path.

Went to Lost Nation rd. but we couldn't find a starting point that didn't feel too close of a private drive. Any hint ? Next try will be from S. American pond rd. if a low-clearance car can make it.