Playing in California

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Recently spent some time in Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks. First stop, Yosemite. Did a hike to Half
Dome. Permit required, as they allow 300 people max per day on the summit. The final 400 feet of elevation
involves the cables.
IMG_8892e-L.jpg

I started the hike early and got to the cables before the heavy traffic. The cables were pleasantly uncrowded at 10am.
IMG_8897e-L.jpg

Stayed on the summit of Half Dome for about two hours. Here I'm standing on "The Visor" (upper left corner of frame).
Sort of like the Bondcliff overlook as far as being THE place to get your summit photo taken.
IMG_8907e-L.jpg

On my way down at about noon, I hit the masses on their way up.
IMG_8940e-L.jpg

A few days later, the goal was to catch the sunset on the South Rim, specifically at Glacier Point.
Off-duty Ranger practicing his craft at Glacier Point.
IMG_6964e-L.jpg

A few sunset shots from Glacier Point.
IMG_9053e-L.jpg

IMG_9062e-L.jpg

Next stop was Sequoia National Park. Sequoia has some plant life that is slightly large. Free photography
advice when visiting "The Giant Forest"...if at all possible, go there on an overcast day in the hopes of
getting soft even light. The intense sunshine created some harsh shadows and led to some truly sucky
contrasty photos. This advice of course applies to any floral photography, but doubly so when you've
traveled 3,000 miles to see the place.

The General Sherman tree is the largest living tree (by volume) on Earth. It is simply awe-inspiring.
IMG_9154e-L.jpg

Lots of folks do the 1 mile round trip walk to the Sherman tree and see nothing else in The Giant Forest.
What a shame. There are so many other trees to see along beautiful easily walkable paths. Around every
hill or bend in the trail awaits another amazing tree or stand of trees.
IMG_9235eee-L.jpg

IMG_9239e-L.jpg

IMG_9263e-L.jpg

Hiked along Crescent Meadow in Sequoia. I tend to find too many bear encounter stories peg the needle on the
BS meter. So rather than run the risk of being one of those people, I'll simply leave it at this. We saw
three bears within a 30 minute span, and although none of the encounters was particularly close or
(apparently) dangerous, having a two-year-old strapped to your back in a child carrier backpack...hmmm...let's
just say it heightens the experience a bit.
IMG_9300e-L.jpg

Overall, Yosemite and Sequoia are everything they're cracked up to be.

Fantastic, definitely conjures memories!

I see you took that descending shot from outside the cables: did you go down that way, or just for the shot? I went two years in a row and got myself a leash for the second time around; it relieved the tunnel-vision "heightening" that I had the first time, much more enjoyable. Did the wind try to to take your hat? Gorgeous!

As for people only skimming the surface (that tree is incredible!), it reminds me of my journey to learn the nooks of the Museum of Fine Arts: I am often good for a couple of hours and then max out and can't absorb any more, it's just too intense! I had the same kind of experience at Yosemite, just being blown away the whole time. I helped it by slipping away with a fly rod to a quiet corner of the woods and visiting the Merced.

Great stuff!

...I see you took that descending shot from outside the cables: did you go down that way, or just for the shot? I went two years in a row and got myself a leash for the second time around; it relieved the tunnel-vision "heightening" that I had the first time, much more enjoyable. Did the wind try to to take your hat? Gorgeous!

I would step outside the cables from time to time either to take photos, or just to sit and prolong the experience. There were some nice horizontal crevasses along the way which provided comfortable and safe places to sit outside the cables.

I did see a few people on leashes, and I was happy for them. It's a long hike to get to the dome, and it would be a shame for them to turn back at the final 400 feet.

Not only was that day perfectly clear, but there was almost no wind. Totally lucked out with the weather.

Thanks to all for the kind words.