Cabot, Bulge, and the Horn via Bunnell Notch, Kilkenny Ridge, Unknown Pond (6-2-15)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
2 July 2015

Mount Cabot, The Bulge, The Horn

Trails: York Pond, Bunnell Notch, Kilkenny Ridge, Unknown Pond Trails

Conditions: Bunnell Notch Trail had a lot of muddy sections as per usual. Kilkenny Ridge had a couple good blowdowns but after the summit of Cabot. Unknown Pond Trail had mud and was a bit overgrown with brush in spots, basically the same condition it is usually in; it takes the appearance of a wilderness trail occasionally. Bugs were a minor annoyance in a few spots, but I never needed spray. YMMV.

Comments: Perfect day out. Cool at the start with a mostly sunny, mildly breezy day. Ideal. I was unsure at the start if I would do the loop or not, but it had been a few years since I had been on the Horn and at Unknown Pond. I ran much of the Bunnell Notch Trail and found it pretty good terrain for that, although the muddy stretches caused some slowdowns, or opportunities for rest as they were. The Horn was spectacular as always with great views of the Presidentials and the Mahoosucs. The area around Unknown Pond has a lot of revegetations areas. It has taken a beating from people camping near the pond, trampling the shoreline areas, and removing branches for firewood. The tent sites are fantastic and there are many of them. It is still a gorgeous, pristine pond and one of my favorites. Two loons floated about lazily, occasionally diving under the surface. A great day for a great loop in the north country.