Mittersill Mtn. Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Did a quick real quick search but found nothing. It seems I read something about the new hiking trail to Mittersill was closed shortly, (year or so) after opening. Primarily because of ski trail reconstruction for the US ski team training? I'm pretty close right now so personally checking it out would not be too difficult but if someone knows, for sure about the status, I'd appreciate it. I'll be doing this, later this morning and am just trying to avoid heading north through the notch when my second choice will be to head south from Woodstock.

Thanks

I hiked it and reported on it June 1 last year. Not sure whether it's open now or not - trail was not well marked at the beginning for me, started at northwest base of lift up Mittersill Peak, with parking right nearby. There was a beaten footpath, and after a while, on the climb, maybe 1/4 mile in, I found the yellow blazes. My only complaint was that the rocks were small and loose on a steep pitch at about 2700', iirc. I slipped and fell on my butt on descent at the top of this, but care and caution attended to that from there downward. Not much water on this trail - bring as much as you need to get to the summit area for refills.

Thanks all. Steve Smith's blog was the first report the alerted me that this trail existed. But I thought some one, somewhere posted it was going to be closed. Regardless, I did drive by yesterday. I did see a lot of construction vehicles in the area. Anyway, the fact that yesterday was pretty HHH and I doubt I could have done it still rehabbing my ankle, I did Bald and Artists Bluff instead. I'll leave it for a much better day when I'm more capable.

Having just contacted the folks at Cannon Mountain, they state (and nothwithstanding Becca M's excellent trail report), the Mittersill-Cannon trail will remain officially closed through this summer, possibly summer 2016 as well. Some details of the Mittersill Improvement Project, the reason for the closure, can be found at http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersill_info.html.

Descending this trail on a loop from the Easton valley two years ago, I can say it's an absolute gem as its 'big sky' openness affords multiple, panoramic views to the north as you make your way down to the Mittersill base.

Having just contacted the folks at Cannon Mountain, they state (and nothwithstanding Becca M's excellent trail report), the Mittersill-Cannon trail will remain officially closed through this summer, possibly summer 2016 as well. Some details of the Mittersill Improvement Project, the reason for the closure, can be found at http://www.cannonmt.com/mittersill_info.html.

Descending this trail on a loop from the Easton valley two years ago, I can say it's an absolute gem as its 'big sky' openness affords multiple, panoramic views to the north as you make your way down to the Mittersill base.

Thanks for that post. As I first suspected, it is officially closed.

Second that - lost of beautiful views, near continuous from Mittersill Peak to C summit. It's pretty steep much of the way, as well. Glad I got it last year before its prolonged closure.

Did it on Saturday, and the lower portion is a mess due to all the heavy equipment. If it is officially closed, it might be nice to put up an actual sign saying that (there aren't even the normal "no hiking allowed on Cannon Ski Trails" signs). Ran into a group of 3 coming down as I went up.

You probably want to save this one for after they fix the effects of all the tracked equipment and brush cutting. Loose soil, piles of slash, etc. Pretty unpleasant. And the equipment is probably active during the week, and you don't want to share a trail with loggers.

You can get a good idea of the work from Bald Mtn across the street. I think this is year 2 of a 3 year project.