Lauky's last hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S

Lauky July 19, 2007 -- July 9, 2015 RIP

We haven't posted much since moving to Georgia in the summer of 2013 but there was a time when Lauky's hikes were fairly frequently posted. Following the Vet's instructions I didn't take him up any 4000 footers until he was six months old and no hikes requiring jumping down off cliffs until he was a year. But from that point on he was very active. He did four rounds of the NH 48 including one winter round. He also hiked extensively in central and southern NH and in south western Maine. Pleasant Mt. ME was our go to hike as we lived in Bridgton and he did that 30 to 40 times.

Since moving to GA he hiked extensively in GA, NC, TN, and SC. We hiked the AT from the beginning to Fontana at the gate of the Smokies. Since he wasn't allowed in the park we went back and did the Benton Mackaye trail to Fontana effectively making a 400 mile loop. We had also done 51 of the 65 hikes in Jim Parnams North Georgia hiking guide. He had hiked Mt. Mitchel from the Black Mt. Campground four times in addition to many other NC hikes as far north as Grandfather Mt. A year ago he was diagnosed with lung cancer and had one lung removed. He underwent weekly chemo treatments right up to the time of his death. We had ten good months and one fairly good month. During that time among other things we hiked the 125 miles of the Bartram trail from Cheoah Gap over Nantahala gorge and south through NC and GA to Oconee State park in SC. He enjoyed our overnights. When it got cold he would just crawl into my sac with me cozy and warm.

In the last month the cancer started taking over fairly rapidly but we continued to do some short hikes and walked in the local dog park every day right up to the last week when he really didn't have much energy left.

Yesterday in the Vet's office he went to sleep curled up in my arms as he has done so many times over the years only this time never to wake again. The stories we have are innumerable. He had done so much in eight short years yet there was so much left undone. I miss him greatly.

Last edited:
So sorry for you loss, but be comforted in knowing that Lauky experienced so much and lived a very full life.

So sorry, Ed, for the loss of your great dog and friend. I hope you can find some peace in knowing what a wonderful life he had, thanks to you.

So sorry to hear about this. I only met you a couple times on the trail, but enjoyed seeing your posts of the hikes you two did. You gave him a great life while he was here and you should be proud of that.

Lauky's accomplishments are an inspiration to all. He should be enshrined in the 4 Footed Hiker Hall of Fame. Sorry that you have lost your partner.

Just logged in after a very, very long time and I am so sorry to see this. :'( I always loved seeing your pics and reading of your adventures with this special creature. Sending you much love and gratitude on his behalf for the peaceful transition. Rest in peace, sweet Lauky.

Our Condolences. Always love hearing of your Adventures. I see the ridgeline of Pleasant Mt. everyday as it is near where I live. I will look at it differently today and think of all the good times you have shared with us here with your best friend. Thank you and be well.

So sorry to hear about your friend, Ed. I remember when he was just a pup. He had a wonderful life with you. So sorry for your loss.

Dear Ed,

I hope you can find some solace in the memories and pictures of your time with Lauky. I have read so many of your posts and know that you took exceptional care of your companion.

Hang in there,

Z

Ed, we never met on a hike but I definitely followed the adventures of your and your trusty sidekick. Such a handsome fellow. We ALL will miss your four legged companion.

Condolences

Oh, Ed. I never met Lauky and haven't yet met you, but thanks to you both I enjoyed many adventures my own feet haven't yet traveled. Your posts were among my favorites which welcomed me in their charm and fun when I first came to Views three years ago. I'm so sorry to hear of Lauky's taking his leave, and second the motion for his induction into the 4K Club HOF.

I hope you'll still be willing and able, going forward, to share some of your hikes with us, and if you can come to a place where you could grace us with a few more of Lauky's hikes down south, doubtless we'd all be grateful. In the meantime, I hope your heart is filled with warm thoughts of happy times and trails you shared with him.

Last edited:
Ed, Lauky was as blessed to have you as an owner as you were to have him. I'm struggling with doggie dementia but I can't complain as his age is 15 in late August. It's a devastating loss and I wish I could say something to sooth your pain. I hope you relish your times with Lauky and when ready find a suitable new companion to begin a new journey with.

A rare and special life for a dog by any measure. One to be celebrated.

Hi Ed, I met you & Lauky coming down from Mt. Pierce this past Spring. I commented to You about what a nice dog He was. I was very saddened when I read Your post.

Even knowing how this story was likely to end, the tears came in your final paragraph.
You've lost a wonderful companion, all the more remarkable for your engaging posts.
Sincere condolences.