Lauky's last hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We only met once at the Franconia trail head. As already stated many of us followed your posts and journeys through this site. AGain, he lived a legendary life thanks to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you both, Mike

Ed: I had the honor and privilege to meet you and Lauky on Belknap a couple of times and continued enjoying your posts after your move.
I was saddened by the news of Lauky passing at the same time realizing he was a Happy Companion to you and all the adventures you shared together and shared with so many others.

I would like with your permission to paint the Letter L on a cairn I built for Emma a few years ago. I know you had stopped there with Lauky as you overlook the lake and mountains on the Blue trail close to the summit.

A picture of the outlook is on one of the posts of the Face Book Page of the " Belknap Range Hikers ".

"PEACE"

Ed: I had the honor and privilege to meet you and Lauky on Belknap a couple of times and continued enjoying your posts after your move.
I was saddened by the news of Lauky passing at the same time realizing he was a Happy Companion to you and all the adventures you shared together and shared with so many others.

I would like with your permission to paint the Letter L on a cairn I built for Emma a few years ago. I know you had stopped there with Lauky as you overlook the lake and mountains on the Blue trail close to the summit.

A picture of the outlook is on one of the posts of the Face Book Page of the " Belknap Range Hikers ".

"PEACE"

Oh thank you, that's very thoughtful, please do. I'll be in New England this fall, if possible I'll try to get up there. Lauky, by the way, was the seventh dog to get the Belknap Range patch.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for your very kind words. I'm very touched by your comments and even a bit surprised by all those who remember him and even Duffy. That does go back a ways for Duffy. We had many great hikes in the Whites and also in the Belknaps. We used to head to the Belknaps every spring when the snow got rotten in the Whites as we could often hike on bare trails there and elsewhere in central and southern NH.

My condolences on your great loss. How lucky you were to have had such a great friend and hiking partner. The worst part of having a loving pet, is that their lifespans don't come close to ours.. Randy and Buddy

So sorry, but know he made a difference

I've so enjoyed all your and Lauky's adventures these many years. Your highly descriptive texts taught me how to think like a hiker, what to look for in each trail and how to guide my little ones when we were new. There's something about seeing the world while accompanied by some smaller, seemingly lesser creature that keeps it simple and focused on what matters: the journey together.

How fitting his last trail ended in your arms. Thank you both for teaching me, and many others I'm sure. Lauky and you made the world a better place. That's all we can hope to do in the end.

We are so sorry for your loss Ed, Sherry and I will miss tossing Lauky the tennis ball at the annual AMC Awards in NH. I'll always remember your story of Lauky getting loose from his leash after hiking down off Mt Madison, and havening to re-climb all the way back up to the hut to find him.

Ed,

I am so very sorry to hear of Lauky's passing. Reading your trip reports over the years gave me a glimpse into the bond you shared together along miles of trails and they fed my passion for hiking with my four pawed pal, Simon. Forever in your heart.

Tracy & Simon

You had me at "terrier", starting with Duffy. Sure wish I'd seen you sometime on the trail with either of them. We've had Border Terriers for more than 30 years now, along with other breeds.

My heartfelt condolences to you on the loss of Lauky.

So sorry for your loss...a very nice written tribute to Lauky...glad I was lucky to meet you and him on a winter's hike to the Tripyramids...

Sometimes life moves faster than you can imagine. In our case it started with just a casual note to WT Cares the Welsh Terrier rescue group just out of curiosity. In the space of an hour I had a response asking if I would be interested in a just turned 5 Welsh Terrier who needed a lot of exercise. We took a trip over to the Nashville area to take a look and came home with Aska. He's now an official member of the hiking community. We still miss Lauky in a big way, there are memories that will last us a lifetime. But we welcome this fellow into our home and look forward to some great times with him.

Ed,

So sorry to hear of Lauky's passing, but he surely lived a full life. We've never met but I too remember Duffy, and have always enjoyed your posts. And congratulations on finding Aska! The adventure never ends...

I'll look for Lauky's stone on Emma's cairn next time I'm on Belknap.

Willoughby

Ed: I had the chance to paint the L for Laukey on the Cairn. I hope to meet Aska some day when we are all on the summit.
Welcome to the Family Aska.
A picture is on the FB Page of "Belknap Range Hikers". https://www.facebook.com/groups/1532327246979277/

Thank you so much. I'm very touched by your thoughtfulness. I found the pictures and shared them on my home page. In the same vein I'd like to also thank Ed Hawkins who made a donation to Baxter Park in memory of Lauky.

Have enjoyed all the posts over the years from Ed'n Lauky. My heart and tears to you. I am so happy to see you have welcomed a new member to your family and hiking family. Too often the last good night to our beloved four legged buddies hinders us two legged ones from reaching out and re-opening our hearts for fear of future pain, so thank-you for reaching out and opening your life and hearts to Aska. My girl, while she never panned out as a hiking dog, is 14, and when its her turn to close her eyes one last time, I will honor her by adopting another buddy whether he/she likes hiking with me or not. Hugs!

Have enjoyed all the posts over the years from Ed'n Lauky. My heart and tears to you. I am so happy to see you have welcomed a new member to your family and hiking family. Too often the last good night to our beloved four legged buddies hinders us two legged ones from reaching out and re-opening our hearts for fear of future pain, so thank-you for reaching out and opening your life and hearts to Aska. My girl, while she never panned out as a hiking dog, is 14, and when its her turn to close her eyes one last time, I will honor her by adopting another buddy whether he/she likes hiking with me or not. Hugs!

Thank you for your very kind thoughts. Getting another Welsh Terrier so quickly was a real surprise it doesn't often work that way. The folks at WT rescue were looking for a home for him where he would get a lot of exercise. We seemed destined for each other so there was no sense in waiting. After his first two hikes I can tell that he will do really well. :)