Boots vs Trail Runners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that the salewa firetail trail runners work great. they are marketed as approach shoes, but I've been able to put a little over 500 miles of mountain running and backpacking into them without loss of waterproofing or grip- I did a presi traverse yesterday in them, and they gripped very well going down jackson-webster trail in the rain, which was a mess of steep, wet slab and mud.

the fact that they are designed primarily as approach shoes helps tremendously with scrambling. I can rock climb with them on if I have to, albeit about two grades below where I would be with climbing shoes.

I have heard complaints that they are not flexible in their fit- they work great for some people, not at all for others. Make sure you get a chance to try them out thoroughly before dropping 200 dollars on them.

Well, I traded in the Merrells for the Speedcross 3 - and then took Gryffin for four mile light run in the woods and these are much better than the Merrells, for grip. The trail was damp, but not soaked, but I am optimistic they will be better.

Tim

I would be keenly (no pun intended) interested to hear the experiences of anyone using trail runners off trail with a pack containing enough "stuff" to sleep overnight if necessary.

If you're actually bushwhacking with a full multi-day load, I'd like to represent you in sponsorship negotiations with various footwear manufacturers. ;)

Well, I traded in the Merrells for the Speedcross 3 - and then took Gryffin for four mile light run in the woods and these are much better than the Merrells, for grip. The trail was damp, but not soaked, but I am optimistic they will be better.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I am glad that you have liked them so far. Did you get the latest version or the originals? For those who are not yet aware, Salomon has a fanatastic customer service department and will actually stand behind their products. I currently have two FREE replacements for shoes that have had some minor material failures, but are still usable.

From what I have heard, Merrell basically laughs when people complain that their products have fallen apart. Again, this is hearsay, but that it makes me reluctant to roll the dice.

Z :D

I burn through trail runners training on my local hill several times a week and I'm too poor to go with La Sportivas or the like.. New Balance for me too. I loved the 476 but they stopped making it, The 481 is close but the sole doesn't seem to grip as well on rock, I think the rubber may be a bit harder. They are cheap and its what works best for me. If I am out on a wet hike though, I rely on my now 2nd pair of Lowa Renegade GTX.

I would be keenly (no pun intended) interested to hear the experiences of anyone using trail runners off trail with a pack containing enough "stuff" to sleep overnight if necessary.

If you're actually bushwhacking with a full multi-day load, I'd like to represent you in sponsorship negotiations with various footwear manufacturers. ;)

I'll volunteer! I did an out and back to Owl's Head in sandals with full overnight gear once along the fisherman's trail. I've also gone up falling waters and over to old bridle path barefoot with overnight gear. I have freakish hobbit feet that are as long as a 7 1/2 but I need to wear a 10 1/2 EEEE to have enough width for my toes. I don't even try on anything other than New Balance. I don't know the model I wear, I just find whatever they have in a 10 1/2 EEEE then choose a color that won't scream at me when I'm walking.

I'll volunteer as well. I have fairly normal feet (9, slightly narrow) and I have bushwhacked and backpacked for years in trail runners with no foot problems. In my case, being light (145 lb) helps keep the feet (and ankles and knees) happy.

M boots.jpg I'll stick with these. The Merrill Wilderness, next to Limmers the best boot for the Whites, espechally when Limmer resoles them.

In my case, being light (145 lb) helps keep the feet (and ankles and knees) happy.

This is a point that is not recognized nearly enough in footwear discussions. I weigh nearly fifty percent more than you, and I'm probably somewhat taller. That puts my center of gravity higher than some people (certainly most women) and has fostered my fondness for the support I get from stiffer boots when bushwhacking.

Might you be the freak I photographed at the Mt. Major parking lot a few years back? ;)

It's possible. Big beard, 5'4".

I'm also about 145 lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if weight was a huge factor in footwear preference. If I put another 70 pounds in my pack, I don't think my ankles would appreciate it...

Have fallen in love with my Lowa Laurins. Excellent foot protection combined with sneaker-like mobility.