Boots vs Trail Runners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobbs

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for new boots and I decided to try a pair of trail runners. I saw "hiking shoes" at EMS, tried on a few pairs but didn't like them. I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Cascadia 10. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on boots vs trail runners. I know there is absolutely no ankle support, but I'm hoping to get better grip. My current boots are Vasque Breeze GTX that are a couple of years old. These boots are very comfortable but the grip basically sucks. Even when they were brand new I would slip on rocks. I wanted to give trail runners a try for grip and to lighten the load on my feet, as boots are kind of heavy. I'm going to be hiking Katahdin next week and I hope the trail runners grip well on the boulder field section of the Hunt Trail.

Thoughts?

My theory on ankle support in trail runners vs boots is that I'd rather have a lot of give and be able to catch myself than get support until the point that it's too late and I roll it badly. My worst rolls have been in boots. I also like the feel I get with trail runners better (although my 'trail runners' are more like low-top boots - Merell Moab Ventilators).

Excellent timing. After many years of listening to the virtues of trail runners, I finally got some. What I kept hearing was "La Sportiva" over and over, for the grip and how quickly they dry out ("just walk through the streams"). Well, I cannot find a La Sportiva in my size (47.5 - they are rumored to make them up to 48, but the LS Raptor 47.5 I tried at REI was tight - tight enough to make me think a 48 wouldn't fit.) I went back and forth between the Merrell and the Salomon and ended up with the Merrell. They are fine for dog walking in the neighborhood but I had problems hiking - especially when wet. The inner sole will bunch up under my foot as it slides around on the bottom of the shoe. And, despite praises to the contrary, my feet stayed wet (not soaking or squishy, but wet - wring socks out wet) for the rest of the day. And the grip kind of stinks. I also heard from one other trail runner (who does post here) that his feet do remain wet and he tries to avoid walking through water as a result.

I'm gonna try them with SuperFeet inner soles next time before I return them to REI and maybe try the Salomons.

Tim

Cascadias were my go to trail runner for a while, now I'm in a New Balance model. I still try to keep my feet fairly dry but haven't had any problems with them even when soaking wet. I use PowerStep insoles, but have used Superfeet in the past.

They are fine for dog walking in the neighborhood but I had problems hiking - especially when wet. The inner sole will bunch up under my foot as it slides around on the bottom of the shoe. And, despite praises to the contrary, my feet stayed wet (not soaking or squishy, but wet - wring socks out wet) for the rest of the day. And the grip kind of stinks. I also heard from one other trail runner (who does post here) that his feet do remain wet and he tries to avoid walking through water as a result.

Agree - once they get soaked they don't try out very quickly, so I try to avoid soaking them if I can. I had to ford the Wild River a few weeks ago, but I was camping shortly after, so I hiked with them wet for a couple miles, then they mostly dried out overnight. My feet sweat a lot, so getting them bone-dry doesn't really matter. I've been using 'SOLE' inserts with great success (no bunching issues for me).

I haven't had any grip issues with mine, but maybe it's a different tread. I bought a pair for 5-fingers for any crossings where I don't want to get my feet wet. I've several friends who use the Solomons and really like them, although the grip on them seems to wear down more easily (possibly because they do road running in them too). Another one of my hiking buddies uses New Balance trail runners (he also has a very large foot).

I held out for a long time on trying trail-runners. I ended up with La Sportiva Raptor GTX's. It took 3 try's to get a pair that fit well. They do run small. They also require, at least for me, a good break-in period. But now that they are, I love. Barely notice having them on. Superior grip, and drying time. And since these are Gore-Tex, if you don't do a total submerge, no water gets in. I've only done one northern Presi hike with them but since they are so light weight with a real gummy sole, I think extensive hiking the type of stuff will destoy them in no time.

I'm getting, at best, 2 useful seasons out of a pair of Vibram rubber soled Scarpa Kalish boots. The third season (400+ miles) is acceptable, but still not like-new grip. At $150, I'd like them to last longer. I purposely avoided the GTX ones due to sweaty feet and the preachers of the virtues of non-GTX walk-through-water and be dry in 15 minutes. I think their definition of dry is not the same as mine. BUT I will reserve judgement until I can verify the claim on La Sportiva Raptors myself, I guess.

Tim

New Balance Trail runners for me with Montrail inserts. The montrails have a rigid plastic piece under the heel and it helps out when rock hopping. I switched from custom Limmers and never looked back. The annoying part with New Balances is they change models annually and the succeeding model may vary widely from its predecessor. Grip seems to vary year by year. Like Windows software, there are good versions and not so good versions. I wear out a pair a season and usually keep a spare in the box on a shelf so when one pair is toast I pull out the next one. They only make a limited number of size 13 EEEE so I have to grab them when I find them. I usually do my yearly presi traverse variations with trail runners.

The NB trail runners have a lot of mesh panels, they get wet quick but dry out quickly.

Some great info here, thanks guys. It sounds like I made a good decision buying trail runners over boots. As far as inserts, I have custom orthotics that my podiatrist made for me. I'll give these brooks a go and see how they work out!

Hi mhobbs,

I would vote in favor of Salomon trail runners primarily because I have used several models and I can speak to their comfort and quality. The Speedcross 3s are great but a bit narrow. They do have a higher heel than forefoot (an 11 degree drop), so that is something to consider. BTW Salomon has outstanding customer service and they will stand behind their products with a warranty.

That's my two cents ;)

Z

Z,

Do you like the pull-to-tighten laces? Do they stay put all day?

Tim

Excellent question, Tim.

To be perfectly honest I prefer traditional laces for different lacing configurations and tension consistency.

I feel that the quick laces system does lose a small amount of tension (creates some slack), but once I get moving my feet swell and they are very secure. I was able to retrofit my XR Missions with standard laces after using an awl to enlarge the holes in the plastic "eye-lets" of the quick lace system, but I was worried I would destroy the Speedcross 3s (climashield and non-treated versions) and void the warranty.

You bring up an excellent point because some people love this system and others hate it. For me personally, it is my least favorite element of this shoe.

Z :D

So I'm in the market for new boots and I decided to try a pair of trail runners. I saw "hiking shoes" at EMS, tried on a few pairs but didn't like them. I ended up buying a pair of Brooks Cascadia 10. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on boots vs trail runners. I know there is absolutely no ankle support, but I'm hoping to get better grip. My current boots are Vasque Breeze GTX that are a couple of years old. These boots are very comfortable but the grip basically sucks. Even when they were brand new I would slip on rocks. I wanted to give trail runners a try for grip and to lighten the load on my feet, as boots are kind of heavy. I'm going to be hiking Katahdin next week and I hope the trail runners grip well on the boulder field section of the Hunt Trail.

Thoughts?

I might suggest something in between like a low hiker. Keen, Oboz, some others make a shoe with the feel of a boot but the size of a trail runner. Trail runners tend to be very light and thin for obvious reasons. Mine are even ventilated with mesh on the sides like gills, so water proof is not an option with these. I don't run through streams in them.

If I plan to run a few miles of the hike, I wear my Trail runners....light, comfy, very little support, great grip. Adidas.

If I am doing anything else not in winter, I wear Keen Targhee II waterproof low hikers. Heavier than trail runners, water proof, solid toe box, feel like sandals.

My hiking boots are with my external frame pack.

There are good threads on this topic if you search.

There are, but like so many things these days, you can't find the model that worked for you last year because it has been "improved".

Tim

Good point. I think Peakbagger pointed out that New Balance change yearly. I swore by my New Balance Trail runners. AT 803 I think they were. Thruhiked the AT in them (4-5 pair of them) and then the model changed in the early 2000's and they lost me. Totally different feel to the shoe. Apparently they keep changing them as well.

I started with NB 801s and worked through 813's. I lucked out as on occasion NB will occasionally make a run of a classic design for a large retailer like Cabelas so I could stock up. I haven't looked at this years offering but they may have given up on the series.

although my 'trail runners' are more like low-top boots - Merell Moab Ventilators.

The Merrell Moab Ventilators have been my favorite for years, and thankfully have not changed for quite a few years. Good support, great grip, and a nice roomy toe box. I recently found a pair of Merrell Reflex at EMS's tent sale and I really like these also, but now they are hard to find. Cabela's has them for $100, but I don't like paying that much. These, the Merrell Highpoint have the same reflex sole that provides excellent grip, and are currently on sale for $47.50. I may have to try a pair.

It's been said before, the insoles that come with most shoes are crappy. I use a set of heat moldable insoles that transfer from shoe to shoe. They have really made a major difference for me.

When it comes to comfort, support and grip I absolutely love my Asolo Neutrons. However for hikes that require multiple wet foot fords of a stream I purchased a pair of Columbia Powervent trail running shoes. They have a well made mesh upper with a protective toe covering. The insoles are perforated and the water passes through them and through and out the midsole. Worn with midweight socks the shoe acts like a squeegee and rings the socks out. I found them very comfortable after going through a stream and they didn't feel much different than a sweaty sock. Obviously with that type of insole you can't replace them with another insole like superfeet or they won't work. The cushioning is fine for trail hiking or running but you would want something with more cushioning if you were doing much paved road running. They came with the bungee laces which I tried out but found they loosened up to much for my taste and I cut them out and replaced them with traditional laces. Another bonus is that they breath exceptionally well and are very comfortable for wearing around town on hot days. http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Powe...pebp=1436653065608&perid=14TE31V15R0JKVEWTPFA

Last edited:
I started with NB 801s and worked through 813's. I lucked out as on occasion NB will occasionally make a run of a classic design for a large retailer like Cabelas so I could stock up. I haven't looked at this years offering but they may have given up on the series.

After some thought, I realized I also started with the AT801's from NB. It was the 803's that caused me to switch shoes. I never saw anything beyond those.

This has good info on men's trail runners:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Running-Shoes-Reviews

For inserts, I use Aetrex 405. They are similar to Superfeet but also have a cushion under the ball of the foot that really makes a difference for me. It supports up under the front of the arch and ball. Most inserts do not have this piece. They run between 50 and 60 a pair, but they are as important to me as the shoe itself. I have high arches.

Last edited:
The NB 801s definitely were a major factor on the AT when it came out. Except for the toe cap that peeled loose they were hard to beat. NB has re released them as classic series several times.