New AT record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/...ew-record-for-fastest-appalachian-trail-hike/

The last few days were epic, every indication was he was going to come up short and instead he pretty much ran straight through with no sleep.

Folks will argue that he had a higher level of support than the prior record holder but with such a close time I expect someone else will try again next year. I expect that variations in weather conditions over the course of the route is probably the biggest uncontrollable variable.

I am always curious while running at this sort of pace if the runner actually remembers any of the trail?.

Took me 30 plus years to do the whole thing;)

Crikey! Wow, I was out on the Bonds this past weekend wondering if he was going to make it. I had a feeling that once he got Baxter peak in his sights he would find a way to push through almost anything. I can't even imagine the level of suffering that must have taken place over the course of the 46+ days, and the cumulative fatigue he must have been fighting through at the end. Wow. I want to read a bit more about the last week or so. Must have been EPIC.

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/...ew-record-for-fastest-appalachian-trail-hike/

The last few days were epic, every indication was he was going to come up short and instead he pretty much ran straight through with no sleep.

Folks will argue that he had a higher level of support than the prior record holder but with such a close time I expect someone else will try again next year. I expect that variations in weather conditions over the course of the route is probably the biggest uncontrollable variable.

I am always curious while running at this sort of pace if the runner actually remembers any of the trail?.

Took me 30 plus years to do the whole thing;)

I would guess he remembers a lot less then traditional AT hikers. FB has had its typical back and forths as to the merits of this record. Personally, I take it for what it was, a supported run to break the record. I think its just amazing that someone could push themselves that hard for so long. I hiked yesterday and I feel it, in light of the subject at hand, I wont reveal my paltry miles in comparison.:rolleyes:

Scott is truly an inspiration in my opinion, and he's also living proof that a vegan diet not only "works" but if applied properly allows people to achieve their absolute best. I must say that his book was an amazing read. It's worth repeating that he forged on despite a knee injury sustained early in the attempt. We can only guess how many fewer days it might have taken him.

Scott is truly an inspiration in my opinion, and he's also living proof that a vegan diet not only "works" but if applied properly allows people to achieve their absolute best. I must say that his book was an amazing read. It's worth repeating that he forged on despite a knee injury sustained early in the attempt. We can only guess how many fewer days it might have taken him.

I agree he is an inspiration and that this was a herculean effort. The only thing I'd say as to "what if" notions about his health is that the AT inflicts a pounding on the frame, especially the northern reaches of the trail. Anyone getting deep into an FKT attempt of it is both overworking and punishing their body at the same time, and it is to be expected that even the bodies of world class athletes such as Scott Jurek and Jennifer Pharr Davis will exhibit distress from such treatment, as both did.

As was discussed at great length by a large group of us over at Whiteblaze, there is reason to question how much further AT FKT's can advance. After following both Jen's and Scott's hikes closely, I'd posit that over a decade or two the record will advance to the 44 day range, but the advance is not likely to occur in leaps of days but more likely increments of hours such as Scott's 3 hour 13 minute bettering of Jen's mark.

She was southbounder so she would have finished under the far less restrictive NF regulations.

During some of the previous sanctioned media events (Earl Shaeffer, Bill Irwin and others, the press meets the celebrity at Katahdin Stream.

Typical blather - "Competition = evil", "Corporation = evil" etc. The only thing I saw that concerned me was the "littering" charge. Would like to know details. Certainly, no one should litter. But given the tone of this rant, maybe it was that they could not find the champagne cork?

Historical question - did they also pour scorn on Jen Pharr?

I guess it's their park and they can do what they want. The tone of the post is one of feeling disrespected, which typically stems from poor communication. If the park doesn't want these types of events, they certainly have the power to stop them. I would hope anyone planing such an event would try to coordinate with the park, and be willing to take 'No' for an answer.

There is a time and place for everything and commercial celebrations such as this do not, by definition, belong in this Park. Through hikers place extraordinary stresses on the resources of the Park and as admirable as the accomplishment, the circus belongs elsewhere ... maybe a few miles east on Nimby Quimby land.

As they say, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..." :)

I'm not surprised this event rubbed some people the wrong way, and I'm not going to take sides since I wasn't there, and numbers, attitude and magnitude in general are what matter. I read at least one account that said most of the folks at the top of Baxter Peak, present in the photo circulated on Baxter's FB page, were not in Scott's party but were psyched to be there to stay and witness the event. It really depends on a lot of factors, including your perspective on these sorts of things, expectations for the Katahdin experience, and the actual conduct on the part of Jurek and Co. I find it pretty tough to glean those important details from any of the publicly available accounts of the celebration. BSP has been known to get their panties all in a bunch over these sorts of things, and Jurek has come off as sort of a D-Bag in the media from time to time (I haven't followed extensively), so who knows who's right. All I can say is the dude really did accomplish something pretty impressive. It's also probably true that, as a result of this and other events, BSP is thinking carefully about how they're going to preserve the Baxter experience for the future, which to me is really important. Maybe this FB press release is part of that path. I certainly don't want Baxter to turn into another Washington. Sweet jeezus. I don't even want to imagine.

Curious what line is there that needs to be crossed before the panty-bunching begins. 100 people celebrating a speed record? 20 celebrating the completion of a thru-hike? 15 celebrating a 100HH completion? 5 celebrating just finishing the peak.

I've only stood on the top of that peak a couple of times, and everyone there was celebrating something.

Absurdities Abound

What a ridiculous overreaction by BSP. Downright embarrassingly stupid and off-base.

What was the unspecified "littering" - a freaking champagne cork? Or was it the spilled champagne, forever altering the summit ecosystem?

Yep. The champagne spray. Was LITTER.

Formally, the summons issued to Jurek was for consuming alcohol within the park, hiking with a group larger than 12 people, and littering, which occurred when champagne sprayed into the air on the 5,268-foot summit hit the ground.

“We really don’t think that the top of Katahdin should smell like a bar,” Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell said. “He hiked down with the summons.”

Right. Because a tiny bit of champagne spray on the top of a mountain is going to make it "smell like a bar". Just when I thought BSP's over-the-top authoritarian days were well behind it. Wow.

What a ridiculous overreaction by BSP. Downright embarrassingly stupid and off-base.

What was the unspecified "littering" - a freaking champagne cork? Or was it the spilled champagne, forever altering the summit ecosystem?

Yep. The champagne spray. Was LITTER.

Right. Because a tiny bit of champagne spray on the top of a mountain is going to make it "smell like a bar". Just when I thought BSP's over-the-top authoritarian days were well behind it. Wow.

Exactly why I don't hike there. The rangers are practically hiding behind the tree's waiting for you to "break a rule", how much fun is that. I have heard all the reasons for the regs up there, I just don't agree with the over bearing nature of the park.

Formally, the summons issued to Jurek
“We really don’t think that the top of Katahdin should smell like a bar,” Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell said.

Right. But it's OK if it smells like the bar's bathroom ;)

Baxter State Park tackles ‘poop’ problem with success
Above treeline in Maine, the rocky terrain is often inhabited by delicate and rare alpine plants. The best way to move off trail without damaging these plants is by hopping from rock to rock, Hoekwater said. Then look for a private place. But do not dig a cathole. Simply do your business on top of the soil.

Looks like they are riding the social media wave themselves to make an example of of Scott.

Tim

Last edited:
BSP has been known to get their panties all in a bunch over these sorts of things, and Jurek has come off as sort of a D-Bag in the media from time to time (I haven't followed extensively), so who knows who's right.

Having read up on this a bit more, I'm quite convinced Jurek is a stand up guy. I regret suggesting, however obliquely, that Jurek's D-baggery may have justified this response from BSP. I misjudged Jurek based on scant information. I also think someone at BSP has an ax to grind and saw this as an "opportunity" for some publicity. Childish and misquided, in my opinion. I stand by the rest of my post in supporting the work required to keep Baxter wild, but I think this particular battle is the wrong one for BSP to pick.

Somebody that we know was up there - made her plans several months ago. She wrote up a nice recap of what she saw in response to the BSP posting.

To recap what she posted on on the BSP FB page, and the two NH Hiking FB groups:

Scott signed in as a group of 12 - he reached the summit with 3 others, 2 of them carrying small video/camera gear. The group that was in the BSP photo were already there - some waiting for Scott after the heard that day what was about to occur. There were others that had reached the peak way before Scott who celebrated with a beer that were not fined. There was a group of @ 20 girls that she followed to the summit that were not fined. Scott's group left the summit spotless - no trash if there was any to start with was left behind. Scott was handed a bottle and he took a short sip then sat down and chatted with people - very humble - no bragging. She heard rangers talking and got the impression that they had no idea he was coming.

On Scott's FB page they showed all the trash that Scott carried out over the course of his trip that was being recycled. He practiced LNT, probably better than many hikers on the AT.

Every post that I have seen from people who met Scott was very positive - a true gentleman who took time to sign autographs, take photos and chat with people. He even took the time to guide a blind friend up a peak for 2 hours. What he did was amazing - just wonder now if Karl will go S to N, or N to S next year :)

It seems to me BSP has wanted to address the thru-hiker issues that concern them for some time (large groups, alcohol, illegal camping, etc.). Scott Jurek's hike has brought a significant amount of attention to these issues and with so much attention being given to the AT, Baxter, Thru hikes, etc. right now, BSP has likely chosen this time to tighten up.

It also occurs to me that they want to make their rules clear before the wave of thru hikers that will surely follow the upcoming film opening September 2 (a Walk in the Woods).

I understand the concerns of BSP. It's a pristine place and they want to keep it so. However, I hope this issue can be resolved without throwing SJ under the bus in the process, as by all accounts he seems to be a true steward of the mountains. Some people going for these records are very self absorbed. He picked up trash and helped others along the way risking his own pace to do so. Hopefully that doesn't get lost in the crossfire.

Baxter has mentioned kicking the AT out. That begs a really interesting question. Where are we going to move the new AT terminus? :)