New AT record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new terminus could be the originally proposed terminus, Mt Washington. If it wasn't for Avery and Taylor stringing together logging roads, the AT would have stopped on Mt Washington. Mt Washington cannot be prostituted much worse than it already is.

For an alternative Maine location, Avery Peak is a nice option

Last edited:
A couple of things to add. BSP had been communicating with Jurek's corporate sponsors well in advance. Their request for a hovering helo to shoot his finish was denied, and only one media permit was issued. They agreed to conditions that included no alcohol, no photography within 500' of the summit, and a limited group size. As you know, they broke that agreement, and Jurek hiked down with the tickets. Just anecdotal, from a person on the summit, his group was 28 in total, and monopolized the summit sign for over half an hour. From a person at KSC, the sawhorses were up saying the lot was full, and his van and other vehicles came in regardless.
Just my opinion here, but had Jurek made a statement during the days after the tickets, we wouldn't have heard from BSP at all.
As an AT '15er has said, "Don't Jurek it up for the next guy."

Baxter has mentioned kicking the AT out. That begs a really interesting question. Where are we going to move the new AT terminus? :)
The Park boundary. ATers wishing to visit can make reservations like everyone else.

A couple of things to add. BSP had been communicating with Jurek's corporate sponsors well in advance. Their request for a hovering helo to shoot his finish was denied, and only one media permit was issued. They agreed to conditions that included no alcohol, no photography within 500' of the summit, and a limited group size. As you know, they broke that agreement, and Jurek hiked down with the tickets. Just anecdotal, from a person on the summit, his group was 28 in total, and monopolized the summit sign for over half an hour. From a person at KSC, the sawhorses were up saying the lot was full, and his van and other vehicles came in regardless.
Just my opinion here, but had Jurek made a statement during the days after the tickets, we wouldn't have heard from BSP at all.
As an AT '15er has said, "Don't Jurek it up for the next guy."

I was at KSC when he and his entourage arrived. The parking lot was full and they parked on the side of the road that leads to Hunt Trail. They barrel-assed into the campground and that was what brought my attention to them. I was surprised the Rangers let them stay. We packed up and left and I found out later who it was.

The Park boundary. ATers wishing to visit can make reservations like everyone else.

For the record, when I thru-hiked, I had reservations for two nights at KSC, I left the alcohol and dogs at home, and I carried out more trash from Baxter than I generated. In short, I left it better than I found it. Not all thru-hikers break the park rules.

Racing thru isn't my idea of an enjoyable experience but that's why we hike our own hike. I'm curious on the youtube video, how many times does he say "I". Better him than me , I prefer to enjoy the scenery, I've heard from other speed guys they do enjoy it, just for less time. If stunts with media coverage and disregarding the rules gets the AT removed from BSP, it will be a shame, Katahdin is the Jewel of the East.

I've been on almost every high summit in the northeast and a few down south. When people ask me which is best, I say, "Katahdin is first, the other top nine are harder to list."
(Haystack & Algonquin are in that top 10, Saddleback in ME also + Lincoln, Adams, (NH) & West Bond.)

There is a time and place for everything and commercial celebrations such as this do not, by definition, belong in this Park. Through hikers place extraordinary stresses on the resources of the Park and as admirable as the accomplishment, the circus belongs elsewhere ... maybe a few miles east on Nimby Quimby land.

or at La Casa!

For Mt Washington, Jurek's group was a fairly low key ( non-event) and had communicated in advance, his " chase" vehicle going up the Auto Road was treated no differently than any other. No special privileges, just an understanding that they were expected to pay the fees associated with their presence, especially as they expected to take and use video and photographic evidence for their purposes. Car toll for the road, just like everyone else, and every other AT through hiker wishing to use the road as a convenience. I know he stayed a night at Lakes Hut, but don't know ( or care) how AMC treated that stay. I will say, I doubt Jurek worked for stay.

BSP is very different than Mt Washington. We all know that some people's agenda are foremost in their minds, whether they jibe with winds of others' agenda really makes no difference in their forebrain.

I say, too bad, so sad for Jurek's smack-down. Its really a lot like getting stopped for doing 85 MPH in a 60 MPH road- construction zone When you know the rules and choose to ignore them, you MIGHT get away with it, but if you get caught, it is going to bite your butt.

Last edited:
**UPDATE** Karel finished at 41d 7h 39m. Congratulations to him, impressive.

Barring something crazy happening, a new supported speed record will be set today. And it’s no nail biter...

Karel Sabbe, a Belgian, will top Joe “Stringbean” McConaughy by 4 days. After running all night to finish up the 100 mile, he set off this morning from Abol bridge for Katahdin. His pace, particularly thru NH and ME, has been incredible.

Important to note: “Stringbean” will retain the fastest self-supported record. Arguaby a more impressive feat.

https://fastestknowntime.com/karel

https://m.facebook.com/Karel-Sabbe-Ultrarunning-1693493784271108/

https://www.outsideonline.com/2338116/karel-sabbe-appalachian-trail-fkt

Last edited:
That's a fast pace. Cutting 4 days! Kudos.

That said, speed is cool, but I want to see a self supported calendar winter AT thru hike. Northbound. Break some trail.

That said, speed is cool, but I want to see a self supported calendar winter AT thru hike. Northbound. Break some trail.

I've been saying the same thing for a while now. To my knowledge, no one has ever even attempted it.