Poop in the campsite: a tragedy in four acts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When deciding how far to go with LNT in any given situation, the standard I use in considering a course of action is to ask myself how I'd feel if I were another hiker trying to enjoy the outdoors, coming upon, stumbling on, stepping in, pitching a tent on, [etc.] my handiwork. If my assessment is that the reaction would be decidedly negative, I rule out that course of action and consider another.

Clearly I would react *very* negatively were I to experience the encounters related in this thread - I'll spare you my own similarly disgusting episodes - and I would also find a range of less egregious examples to be objectionable. In light of the standard laid out above, I'm therefore willing and prepared to be very non-lazy in dealing with my waste.

One of my backpacking friends is blessed with what he refers to as a 'psychological stopper' with 3 days of holding power. For those not as fortunately endowed, some points I recommend keeping in mind:

* Totally apart from the benefits of being out of sight and smell, poop needs to be buried at a bio-active 4"-8", depth if it is to decompose in a mountain environment at more than a glacial pace. Out of the soil, a pile of crap and toilet paper will pretty much remain a pile of crap and toilet paper for a long time.

* The 200 foot guideline (bury your poop 200 feet away from your campsite, surface water and trails) may seem excessive -- but perhaps less so when you consider the logic behind it: the greater the area over which you're selecting and digging your cat hole, the less likely you are to hit on someone else's. Particularly in as heavily used a place as the WMNF, I find the logic to be compelling.

* Above tree line or on frozen ground, burial is not an option.

* Snow is in fact not a burial medium - in the spring the snow will melt and your pile of crap and toilet paper will thaw out and be on display in its full splendor.

* As was related earlier -- if you're unwilling to carry out, consider *staying* out of conditions/situations in which burying your poop won't be possible.

Lastly, as dug did, I think it's a great idea to help people appreciate just how 'crappy' it really is to leave piles of crap around for others to experience -- whether it's post-offense, pre-potential offense, or around the dinner table. :)

Last edited:
15491720024_939316c973_b.jpg

This was taken this past winter. Sorry to get graphic, but yes that brown spot in the snow in front of Kinsman Pond Shelter is Human Poop and TP. I could not believe that someone who had enough appreciation for the shelter to hike there in the winter would at the same time have so little respect for the shelter that they would poop on the front step.

Lake of Clouds and Madison Hut are both surrounded by piles of crap and toiler paper in the spring as the snow melts. The dungeon at Lakes is also a popular spot. Mike Pelchat the Mt Washington State Park manager has proposed opening the summit building early in late winter/spring to reduce the amount of crap that builds up in the various alcoves at the summit.

Keep it up and the USFS will start posting signs for mandatory carry out like they do in popular places out West

So just for the sake of argument, those of you that go the extra mile and actually carry your poop out what the hell do you put it in so it doesn't leak/smell/etc? Seems like there'd be no good way to do that. What do they do out West?