Goose Eye 7/15/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
After driving our Prius 8 miles down Success Pond (DIRT AND ROCK) Road, at an average speed of 11 MPH, we made an alpine start at precisely Noon! :rolleyes:

We followed a logging road as the guidebook says, but much farther than the indicated 100 yards. There was a very obvious sign at the turn. After crossing a bog bridge, we came to an unmarked junction and correctly guessed we needed to turn right. This was mot mentioned in the guidebook. :confused: Then we crossed 2 streams and came out on the predicted dirt road. Another short walk (but again longer than the book said) brought us to the trail proper. It starts out almost flat but gets steeper, and steeper, and STEEPER! :eek: Eventually we were scrambling up wet rocks with all 4 limbs in play. The wind kicked up to a pretty good clip as we topped tree line around 3800'. At this point I made a dash for the summit, and was rewarded with a gash on my knee! :mad: I could feel the wind pushing me up the final 200 feet or so. When I reached the summit, I turned and immediately headed back down, not being dressed for the occasion. Laurie joined me a few minutes later at the tree line where we sat and watched the fog lift, while chatting with a group of 5 other hikers. The views must be great from up there on the right day!

This finishes off 5 days of NEHH peakbagging. In summary:

5 NEHH peaks (does Middle Weeks count for anything?) plus a re-climb of Waumbeck.
42 miles of trails
13000' of elevation gain
Tons of flowers
Tons of pictures
Lots of great views
Lots of good food and beer
Some good friends revisited
A good time was had by all. :D

I'm glad we were able to play a small part in your five day excellent vacation. Good beer and good food is right!! More good beer tomorrow. :D

John & June