Smallest lightest bear canister

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I was up in the Adirondacks this weekend and got weighed down by my large bear canister. It was way bigger and heavier than I needed for an overnight trip. The big canister is great for a multi-day trip, but not for just an overnight.
What is the absolute smallest and lightest canister out there that could be used for just an overnight, one person?

Probably better off in the NY QnA but this link might be of interest:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html

don't forget about the regional differences and date range. The canister regs are only in the Eastern High Peaks and some 4krs and many parts of the ADKs fall outside the Eastern HPs so check that out...

I don't believe there is really a good answer for you, the canisters that I'm aware of are all fairly bulky and certainly not UL in that sense of the word, it seems that you can just be prepared to pack as much things into the bear canister for space saving for short one night trips, etc. etc.

Jay

Another case for paddle camping but I once saw a paddle camper search for an hour for his bear canister that was carried off, but not opened, by a racoon.

While not exactly lightweight, the Bare Boxer 101 is the smallest canister that I've seen that is approved in the Eastern High Peaks. The Mountaineer in Keene Valley sells them.

Last edited:
For a bear canister to work it has to be larger than the opening of a bears mouth. For that reason you won't find anything significantly smaller than the Bare Boxer. Just slightly larger is the BearVault 450. 440 cubic inches compared to 275 for the BareBoxer. The 450 fits nicely in my pack and holds a surprising amount. I read that there was a bear in the Adirondacks that could open the Bear Vault. I think I also heard that he had died. Whatever, I'm a long way from there and know of no problems like that here in the Blue Ridge.

For a bear canister to work it has to be larger than the opening of a bears mouth. For that reason you won't find anything significantly smaller than the Bare Boxer. Just slightly larger is the BearVault 450. 440 cubic inches compared to 275 for the BareBoxer. The 450 fits nicely in my pack and holds a surprising amount. I read that there was a bear in the Adirondacks that could open the Bear Vault. I think I also heard that he had died. Whatever, I'm a long way from there and know of no problems like that here in the Blue Ridge.

The BearVault 450 is a slick design & was my original canister, however, to the best of my knowledge, they are still not accepted in the Eastern High Peaks. Yellow-Yellow, the first bear known to open the BV 450, died several years ago. But, according to DEC rangers that I've talked to, they think that Yellow-Yellow wasn't the only bear that was opening them.

I just checked the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee's (IGBC) list of approved containers, & it now includes the Ursack S29 AllWhite. The DEC regulations that Jay H linked to specifically disqualify sacks, but that law was written prior to any of Ursack's products gaining IGBC approval. It might be worth checking with the DEC to see if they would be willing to allow any product approved by the IGBC.

Here's the IGBC's list.

i picked up an ursack years ago ... the white one without the aluminum liner ... it weighs 8 oz and should be hung on a bear line ...

http://www.ursack.com/

very lightweight, but not sure it'd pass the NYS DEC bear bag requirements, even with the aluminum liner ... it's pliable ...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html

i also have a garcia bear canister that weighs 2 lb 12 oz ... can't imagine a bear opening that unless it can operate a left-handed screwdriver ...

here's a website that compares several models

http://calipidder.com/wp/2009/05/bear-canisters-the-pros-and-cons-of-different-designs/

I rented a Wild Ideas Bearikade for my PCT hike. They come on two sizes, and are made of carbon fiber - they weigh almost a pound less that the other canister-style options. Highly recommended, but pretty expensive to buy.

The BearVault 450 is a slick design & was my original canister, however, to the best of my knowledge, they are still not accepted in the Eastern High Peaks. Yellow-Yellow, the first bear known to open the BV 450, died several years ago. But, according to DEC rangers that I've talked to, they think that Yellow-Yellow wasn't the only bear that was opening them.

I just checked the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee's (IGBC) list of approved containers, & it now includes the Ursack S29 AllWhite. The DEC regulations that Jay H linked to specifically disqualify sacks, but that law was written prior to any of Ursack's products gaining IGBC approval. It might be worth checking with the DEC to see if they would be willing to allow any product approved by the IGBC.

Here's the IGBC's list.

Far from an expert on this subject but I was under the impression that a bear container on the IGBC list and the "other" agency list (whose name escapes me right now) would conform to any parks requirements for bear cannisters. Is that not the case? I own a Bear Vault. Whose list is the "if it is on here it's OK anywhere" list?

Last edited:
While not exactly lightweight, the Bare Boxer 101 is the smallest canister that I've seen that is approved in the Eastern High Peaks. The Mountaineer in Keene Valley sells them.

See this blog entry:

http://sectionhiker.com/bare-boxer-contender-a-small-2-3-day-bear-canister/

I have the Bare Boxer Contender 101 (based on the data in this article and my hiking patterns). Philip has a good list of specs and source in this posting. You'll have to figure out which ones are ADK-approved.

Far from an expert on this subject but I was under the impression that a bear container on the IGBC list and the "other" agency list (whose name escapes me right now) would conform to any parks requirements for bear cannisters. Is that not the case? I own a Bear Vault. Whose list is the "if it is on here it's OK anywhere" list?

As far as I'm aware, there is no such list. As far as I can gather from the IGBC website, their list covers National Forests in Grizzly territory, but the IGBC recommends that you check with the land manager of the area that you plan on visiting.

Ursack's website says that the S29 AllWhite still doesn't have approval for Yosemite, Kings Canyon, & Sequoia national parks.

According to BearVault's site, they still weren't accepted in the Eastern High Peaks as of last summer, which aligns with my conversation with a DEC ranger.

Somewhat ironically, the NYDEC links to the IGBC website, but as I mentioned above, the Ursack clearly doesn't conform to the statute.

Somewhat ironically, the NYDEC links to the IGBC website, but as I mentioned above, the Ursack clearly doesn't conform to the statute.

Talk about vague. The NY site doesn't appear to have any approved list and does refer to IGBC site. Bear Vault is approved on both the IGBC and SIBBG lists so you'd think it was approved. The BearVault was redesigned since the "Yellow-Yellow" bear death in 2012 and the BearVault site only says that it is "not recommended" in the high peaks. It doesn't specifically say it is not approved. Vicious circle here. I guess the moral of the story is to call a ranger station where you're going and find out what is approved from the people that will be fining you for what you use/don't use.

The BearVault was redesigned since the "Yellow-Yellow" bear death in 2012

I think this is incorrect. A google search of "Bear Vault 450 review" shows several reviews of the BearVault 450, the latest version of the smaller size, from 2010.

I think this is incorrect. A google search of "Bear Vault 450 review" shows several reviews of the BearVault 450, the latest version of the smaller size, from 2010.

It's my understanding that the Bear Vault, both sizes, was redesigned by adding a second tab to the top that has to be compressed, but I think it was done before the death of the Yellow-Yellow bear.

Thanks for the info everyone. I just ordered the Bare Boxer 101. As far as I can tell, that's the smallest and lightest. I am trying to perfect packing as light as possible while still having what is needed. The Lightheart SoLong tent I picked up is awesome. It weighs practically nothing and compresses down to like the size of a postage stamp!

For single overnights I wish they made a bear canister that was like the size of a 20 ounce mug, and then had a cable that you could lock it around the base of a tree to prevent a bear from carrying it off in its mouth.

I packed super light and STILL had way too much weight up in the Sawtooth Mountains. It made the bushwhacks even more difficult. I'm going to try compressing more non-food items into the canister to consolidate the load. But the bear canister I have now felt like I was lugging a dead deer carcass up the mountain, so I'll check out this Bare Boxer to shave off some more weight and bulk.
I'm planning to hit County Line Mountain and South Pond Mountain in the middle of nowhere in the Siamese Ponds wilderness this weekend so I will see how it fares.

Last edited:
I have a Lightheart Tent which I think I can compress into the bear canister and then put my food on top.

I would use caution packing non-food items in the bear canister. If you are visited by a bear, you would not want to be inside a tent that smelled of food.

Shit. Good point. I think what I'll do then is just pack non food items in the bear canister that I can leave inside the bear canister with the food that stay totally away from the tenting area.
When are they going to invent drones that can carry a heavy bag by remote control above us up the mountain? haha!

It was redesigned several times at least as recent as 2013. They have kept the Bear Vault 450 model number but it has been updated several times over the years. This is not the article I originally read on the topic but it also refers to the change: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-mountain-hiking/20271-bearvault-early-models. At any rate, I don't want to argue the point. I was just surprised that a container on both of the major approved canister lists was not approved somewhere. I thought those lists were all-encompassing.