Hike Safe Card Financial Results...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to thinking about this recently....

It's pitched that the Hike Safe card is like driving insurance. Not required, but sure hope you have it if you need it. To further this analogy...fishing license fees, and ATV & boating registration fees, would be analogous to town/state car registration fees.

By registering your car, that doesn't cover your driving insurance. So, by registering your ATV (for example), that doesn't cover your hiking insurance.

Should the F&G look to isolate the license/registration fees into conservation/education efforts in the State's wild areas completely? In addition, the Hike Safe card would be changed to "Outdoor Card", and everyone would be recommended to get one.

The extra revenue generated would surely close the budget gap. In addition, it would free up additional funds for our lakes and streams.

Just a thought....

The extra revenue generated would surely close the budget gap. In addition, it would free up additional funds for our lakes and streams.

Just a thought....

It would be nice, but you have to remember the big picture.

Government Priority List:
1. Graft
2. Waste
3. Programs that help favored allies
4. Useful programs

Items within 4 are prioritized by squeaky wheel; trails, lakes, and rivers are "last in line." (Apologies to Ronny James Dio.)

(I might be cynical...)

And staying cynical but on task? So using the National Forest and spending money at NH business we want to have an additional fee on the tourist?

Who will buy it? Now I went up Ammo & down the Jewell on a foggy day yesterday but started early and was done by 3:30. Yet there were still people heading up the Jewell at 1:30 moving slowly heading to Washington. Hopefully they made it back by dark or planned to take the train down.

They went to the trouble of putting up hike safe cards but do trail kiosks mention how long approximately it takes to go up and back or up to campsites. Yes, the times are estimates but you can tell us that too, They list essentials many of us may carry (or not) and in all my years, I've never needed a match. Are novice hikers going to go out and buy them when they see they don't have what's on the list.

I may have had a map for where I was, however, the peaks I climbed were for the 6th, 8th, 13th and 16th times. (I packed it at home but may not of had it in my pack)