European plug arrived for U.S. outlet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
When all else fails, ask DougPaul.

I just bought a Sony camera from an online seller, and it looks like it was designated for Europe, not the United States. The plug for recharging the battery has a 3A on it, which is supposedly used for 250 volts. The 125-volt designation should be 6A or 8A (the text is so tiny it’s hard to make out). I can’t figure out if I can change that on the plug somehow or if I need to buy a new one. The 3A is on a white thing that is behind an orange-brown rectangle set between the plug’s prongs, and looks like it should be something that can be pried off, but who knows.

Anyway, I just chatted with Sony Support and was told I need a transformer, and he sent me to a page with Sony chargers, but I’m not sure if any of those is really what I need or not. The plug that should have been included with the camera was not among the products listed on that page.

Maybe I can just buy something at Radio Shack?

I can always attach the camera to the computer, but leaving the computer on for four hours just to recharge the battery seems like a waste.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Who also may not know the answer...

I just bought a Sony camera from an online seller, and it looks like it was designated for Europe, not the United States. The plug for recharging the battery has a 3A on it, which is supposedly used for 250 volts. The 125-volt designation should be 6A or 8A (the text is so tiny it’s hard to make out). I can’t figure out if I can change that on the plug somehow or if I need to buy a new one. The 3A is on a white thing that is behind an orange-brown rectangle set between the plug’s prongs, and looks like it should be something that can be pried off, but who knows.
I suspect that the 3A applies to the 5 VDC USB charging current, not the current on the 250/125 VAC line.

Anyway, I just chatted with Sony Support and was told I need a transformer, and he sent me to a page with Sony chargers, but I’m not sure if any of those is really what I need or not. The plug that should have been included with the camera was not among the products listed on that page.
Have no idea.

Is Radio Shack even functional at this point?

I can always attach the camera to the computer, but leaving the computer on for four hours just to recharge the battery seems like a waste.
I have both 120 VAC and 12 VDC (car plug) to 5 VDC 3A USB converters. They are available in many places.

Doug

U-Do-It Electronics in Needham, MA or a good camera store may have something.

I would be surprised if the camera doesn't have a universal power supply. Most, but not all electronics have digitally switched power supplies versus hard wired transformers so the manufacturer can make one standard body for all markets.They usually are setup to take a range of voltages from 240 to 110 VAC. The only thing different is the plug. On occasion I see equipment supplied with one power cord with a snap in insert for the particular countries plug that the equipment was sold for. The 3 Amp printed on the adaptor is probably the rated current draw, I expect the 110 volt version has 6 amps molded it.

If you have the specs, look for a input voltage range listed somewhere.

Last edited:
What peakbagger said: The voltage and frequency range will be printed on the power supply. If it's a universal power supply (as most are) you do NOT need a transformer - just a different cord or plug. If the cord plugs into the power supply, it's likely to be a standard 2-pin connector, for which you may already have a matching 110V cord from another device. Just make sure it's a universal power supply (110-240V) before you plug it in!

I would be surprised if the camera doesn't have a universal power supply. Most, but not all electronics have digitally switched power supplies versus hard wired transformers so the manufacturer can make one standard body for all markets.They usually are setup to take a range of voltages from 240 to 110 VAC. The only thing different is the plug. On occasion I see a equipment supplied with one power cord with a snap in insert for the particular countries plug that the equipment was sold for.
You are likely correct. (Psmart as well.)

The 3 Amp printed on the adaptor is probably the rated current draw, I expect the 110 volt version has 6 amps molded it.
Do the math: 3A at 240V or 6A at 120V are 720 watts!. The 3A rating is at the 5VDC output for 15 watts (at either input voltage).

There are a variety of specs for USB power ranging from .5A to 5A. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#PD

Doug

Back to Raymond's question:
What kind of physical plug is on the power adapter?

If it is a 2-prong US 120 VAC plug, you got the proper power adapter.
If not, you need a plug adapter to adapt just the physical plug (no electronics) or a different power adapter.

(Note: I'm talking about 2 different adapters: the power adapter converts 110-240VAC to 5VDC, the plug adapter simply converts one physical plug to another.)

Doug

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

As an aside, especially if the price was very good, you may have a gotten a "gray market" camera. "Gray market" cameras are made for other nations. If it is a "gray market" camera, then you probably don't have any warranty.

To get to the truth of matter, contact Sony directly, rather than depending on anything the seller says.