HUT TO HUT advise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Hi all, I have 2 20yr olds shooting for hut to hut tuesday 7/28. they are going Carter to LLHut directionally.

Any helpful advise for them is great. One-my son- has done the NE48, and he works as a backcountry caretaker so he is well versed, his partner while not as experienced has been in the presi's and has done knifes edge with him last year and they killed it time wise and skill wise.

General plan is to start Carter around midnight, but I was thinking they should shoot closer to first light so they will be in daylight for Great gulf to madison, certainly one of the tougher sections-advise on these trails would be welcome. They will water up and snack up at the huts, but any recc addl gear is welcome. I have mentioned add l socks, wind/rain jacket, quick sugar snacks.

thanks, Ctsparrow

If they start at midnight, they might feel more comfortable heading up Osgood and across Parapet as the sun rises instead of heading up Madison Gulf Trail where there are a few spots where one could lose the trail going up in the dark. If they are leaving a drop bag at the Highland Center that helps as they can change clothes, socks, and sneakers if they'd like to. Other than that, keep well hydrated and eat, don't beat yourself up over the Presi's, save your energy for the second half of the hike, especially the last section through the Garfield Ridge.

I've done it starting at midnight and heading up Osgood, click here for report, and I've also started at first light and went up Madison Gulf click here for report

Hope they enjoy the H2H :)

-Chris

Thanks Chris, I already checked out your Madison Gulf report, will do so with the Osgood report as well. I am going to print up both for the boys. They are not trail runners, but I am sure they will be successful!
Sue
Ctsparrow

Keep in mind that the reason for the midnight start is that the traditional goal for a Hut-to-Hut is to complete it in one calendar day, not in any random 24 hour period.

good to know dave, wasnt aware of a distinction on that one, i do think that if they start at 2am ish, they will complete by midnight, but i will pass the beta along!
They are actually hiking tomorrow 7/29, wish them luck!

If they finish it in one calendar day or a random 24 hour period it's still the same! He's just pointing out an old tradition, but it has no bearing on the accomplishment what-so-ever. I know people who have started and finished it in under 24 hours but it wasn't in one calendar day.

Hope they have a blast tomorrow doing the H2H :)

The "one calendar day" seems silly to me. But sometimes traditions are silly
It may stem from an older Dartmouth Outing Club tradition of midnight-to-midnight marathon hikes to see who could cover the most distance. But as said above, it's just part of the lore and tradition, not required or valued.

It may stem from an older Dartmouth Outing Club tradition of midnight-to-midnight marathon hikes to see who could cover the most distance. But as said above, it's just part of the lore and tradition, not required or valued.

Those old DOC stories of how those hike/runs escalated are a good read. Massive mileages on some of them!

Lots of socks are a must. I went through four wool pairs on my HtH a few weeks ago in mostly dry weather due to the squishy portions of the trail.

just as important for me was a book. this may not sit well with other distance hikers, but I find that I hike further and faster overall when I stop to read for five minutes once an hour. it also gives you more to mull over as you meditate your way across the mountains.

also, my advice would be to not push yourself on the uphills. push hard on the milder sections, like the twinway, flat portions of the presi, and nineteen mile brook trail. however, I would be interested to hear differing perspectives on this strategy.

Finally, if your knees are on fire, bail out. you can hike through blisters and then heal, but knees need replacement if abused. bail out, and then train up a little more.

I hope the HtH went well! I know this is posted after the fact, but maybe it will help others.