TMB vs Walkers Haute Route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle D

Reaction score
I'm in very early stages of planning (or dreaming) of a future Alps trip. Has anyone thru hiked or hiked portions of either of the trails and recommend one over the other? I ordered Kev Reynolds guidebooks which seem to be the best resource on both.

Both are on my list as well, but the idea of finishing in Zermatt trumps other highlight on TMB.

Consider also the Via Alpina, which I have done a few years ago, through the heart of Switzerland, massive mountains, tiny villages, & non-stop scenery that will spoil your hike expectations forever (Switzerland’s Via Alpina: The World’s Best Hike)

We did the TMB many years ago for our honeymoon and we used the Kev Reynolds guide - it's very good. We did the TMB in about ten days or so, then spent some time in Zermatt. We've looked at the Haute Route too, but haven't done it (we can't seem to get away from the Dolomites - I strongly recommend considering them as well!).

I don't think you can make a wrong choice - both would make fantastic trips!

Hi. I hiked the Haute Route in 2008 and the Swiss Alpine Pass Route (Via Alpina) in 2013. I have not done the Tour de Mont Blanc but I believe it is more popular than the Haute Route.
The Haute Route takes you up some pretty high passes and offers alternatives for each segment in the event of poor weather. I left Chamonix August 9 and arrived in Zermatt August 22nd, hiking the last two days via the Europaweg. I had one day of no hiking -the first leg of the Europaweg is difficult. Due to heavy rain, I turned back and waited a day. It was magnificent- best stop was Cabane De Mont Fort, high above Verbier. Also, it runs across the Southern part of Switzerland which enjoys very nice weather most of the time.

The Swiss Alpine Route starts in Sargans, near the border of Liechtenstein and finishes at Montreux. The first few days are very remote for Europe but then gets more typical as you walk west. It crosses the Central Alps in Switzerland with the highlight being in Berner Oberland. Berner Oberland to me is the most magnificent hiking scenery to be found anywhere. It can get touristy in spots but for good reason- it's just grand. It gets more precipitation than the Haute route area but tends toward dry and pleasant weather in September.

The Kev Reynolds books are terrific. They are all you need for any of the routes. You won't be disappointed no matter which walk you choose.

I'm heading to Lauterbrunnen in Berner Oberland next week - this time to just walk my heart out from one place for a couple of weeks. Good luck and Bon journee!

I just finished the Walker's Haute Route this summer! The best mountain hut was Cabane De Moiry, that sits right above a hanging glacier. The massive suspension bridge after the EuroHutte has been closed so now most trekkers no longer hike the final day of the Europaweg to Zermatt...we were one of them...instead we took the valley route to Zermatt.

You are correct, we climbed up to 9,500 feet most days to mountain passes offering new views of massive snowcapped mountains [13,000-14,000 feet] with hanging glaciers on its sides, met some great people from all over the world. We trekked the TMB 6 years ago and the Dolomites Alta Via 2 two years ago.

The TMB was much more popular due to it taking shorter to do, most tour operators offer luggage transfers to make it easier on trekkers, and the huts [especially the ones in the Italy] are much nicer than what we encountered on the Haute Route. Plus there is something attractive about having to trek through 3 countries. That all being said, while I loved the TMB and the experience, I have to say that I found the Haute Route to have better scenery.

>>View My Tour Du Mont Blanc Pics