Pack weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When this discussion comes up there are many interesting suggestions, but one thing that is rarely mentioned is that losing ten or more pounds of body weight would probably help as much as anything else.

It may be that the person carrying the heavier pack is already at a low weight and just shakes his head when an out-of-shape fellow hiker preaches about how much more fun he could have by leaving the warm sweater in the car.

My pack contents look like this. Silkweight balaclava, lightweight gloves, .5 Patagonia fleece pants, 3 layer GT shell, first Aid kit, headlamp, Patagonia Puff jacket, knife, 2 32.oz. water bottles, food, Sunglasses, compass ( no maps) ,long sleeve shirt, TP, phone, retractable leash clipped on pack, 2 carabiners, cloth water bowl(dog), small container stormproof matches, rolled up pack cover. My pack is a Gregory forget the name, but not to heavy. I will confess losing weight is something in process, I was out for awhile with a bad knee problem and not being active hurt me for sure. Not that I was ever thin.:p Yesterday, I hiked without half of this load and frankly it felt better, although if something happened and I had to bivi out on the ridge, I would have missed everything I had left behind and there lies the crux of my pack weight.

My pack contents look like this. Silkweight balaclava, lightweight gloves, .5 Patagonia fleece pants, 3 layer GT shell, first Aid kit, headlamp, Patagonia Puff jacket, knife, 2 32.oz. water bottles, food, Sunglasses, compass ( no maps) ,long sleeve shirt, TP, phone, retractable leash clipped on pack, 2 carabiners, cloth water bowl(dog), small container stormproof matches, rolled up pack cover. My pack is a Gregory forget the name, but not to heavy. I will confess losing weight is something in process, I was out for awhile with a bad knee problem and not being active hurt me for sure. Not that I was ever thin.:p Yesterday, I hiked without half of this load and frankly it felt better, although if something happened and I had to bivi out on the ridge, I would have missed everything I had left behind and there lies the crux of my pack weight.

Except for the dog supplies, your list is pretty similar to mine. I'd eliminate the pack cover. Perhaps you could also look into a lighter pack and shell.

Edit: My 40-liter winter daypack and Patagonia Storm jacket (combined) weight 3 lbs.more than my summer daypack and Rab jacket.

http://www.backcountry.com/patagoni...mJjc0NhdDcxMTEwMDc4&skid=PAT006Y-ANDBL-ONESIZ

Last edited:
...Silkweight balaclava, lightweight gloves, .5 Patagonia fleece pants, 3 layer GT shell, first Aid kit, headlamp, Patagonia Puff jacket, knife, 2 32.oz. water bottles, food, Sunglasses, compass ( no maps) ,long sleeve shirt, TP, phone, retractable leash clipped on pack, 2 carabiners, cloth water bowl(dog), small container stormproof matches, rolled up pack cover....

Lots of items in common except for the insulated jacket, fleece pants, pack cover, and doggy items. Surprising how they add up to make your pack twice as heavy as mine. <shrug> How about making the dog carry its gear?

One more thing to add: I once felt that I needed to reduce the weight of all my gear because my shoulders were sore after backpacking. It turned out that the hipbelt on my old pack was not very effective. After buying a new pack with a better hipbelt, I didn't mind carrying the weight.

Yesterday, I hiked without half of this load and frankly it felt better, although if something happened and I had to bivi out on the ridge, I would have missed everything I had left behind and there lies the crux of my pack weight.

Last week, I hiked up Mt. Greylock (4.2 miles and 2400 ft. elevation gain) with a 4 lb. pack and it took 2:14. Yesterday, I did the same hike with my "normal" 12 lb. pack and it took 2:18. I did feel more weight on my shoulders, but the pack has only a strap around my waist. For heavier loads, I'll carry a pack with hipbelt. I won't need to leave any warm clothes at home.

Last week, I went out with my " Lighter load". I missed having my gloves, my back up long sleeve shirt and my lightweight fleece pants. Conditions were windy, showers, heavy cloud cover. The shirt I hiked up in was soaking wet, would have loved my xtra dry shirt. My Patagonia Puff saved the day, but frankly, I missed the options my normal gear list provides. It all went back in. Maybe going light is not for me. Plus, the pack cover someone said to leave behind, kept all my stuff dry.

Depends on location. This week I was in the Whites on Moosilauke and the Presidentials so I had extra gear I did not need although people who don't run as warm as I do may have wanted an extra layer.

Tomorrow, I'm leaning towards the lower peaks of the Devil's Path in the Catskills. Thinking, food, water, a head lamp, map, camel back and a raincoat with glover liners.

I think I will make occasional changes based on my location and the weather. For example, I did Tecumseh the other day, it was hot and clear, I dumped all the gear, I knew I would never need on that day, I never used to do that.