Hammock Questions...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pags615

Reaction score
New to VFTT Forum, thanks for having me!

A few questions for you experienced hammock campers. I'm attempting to get off the ground and help my back out a little and make the switch to a hammock. My question, do you feel the need for a bottom quilt for overnights in early August? Went and got a 40 degree rated top and bottom quilt, was considering leaving the bottom quilt at home. Just looking for some feedback.

Question 2....How does the whole hammock situation play out at tent/pad sites? Headed to Franconia Ridge and the group i'm going with (ground dwellers) is planning to stay over at Liberty Springs and Garfield Ridge or 13 Falls. Places for me to set up? Or any ideas on places to set up near by?

Thanks in advance! :confused:

I use a 3/4 length Thermarest Ultralight pad every time I use my hammock. It goes inside my sleeping bag (which is a summer weight down bag) since it otherwise migrates too much during the night. I've never been too warm using it and often too cold without it even on very warm nights. At Liberty Spring it can get pretty chilly overnight. Bring the extra insulation. I prefer my pad to an underquilt for the reason I use to address the second part of your question.

What kind of hammock do you have? Have you practiced pitching it like a tent? Hammocks at sites like Liberty Spring might be restricted to areas with platforms. I was able to pitch my hammock at Lake Francis State Park (on a trip down the Cohos Trail) but it had to be at one of the tent sites. Luckily the trees were close enough to the platform so that I could string the hammock up over it. Guess a lot depends upon the judgment of the caretaker at the site. There was an overflow area my wife and I were directed to once when the L.S. tent site was at capacity. You might be able to get permission to use one of those, especially since you will be much less likely to cause compaction of the soil than a tent would.

Last edited: