Katahdin Summit Hike selected in top ten in world by National Geographic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's typical, there is a large herd of day use folks who hit the trailheads at the same time and they end up at the summit over a two hour period. Early AM or later in the afternoon things calm down but if you want quiet with similar views its hard to beat Hamlin or the northern peaks

I wonder if Nat Geo will get cited by the BSP Rangers.
Don't know if there'll be any citations but I bet they regret the publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if tighter restrictions on summitting groups and camera crews were imposed in the future.

Don't know if there'll be any citations but I bet they regret the publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if tighter restrictions on summitting groups and camera crews were imposed in the future.

I used to be a big supporter of Baxter's strict policies, but lately, they have been ridiculous. They had a post the other day on facebook saying that Tablets & Smartphones shouldn't be used as flashlights. I agree with on trails, but for camping they are fine (they didn't specify their target audience)

And on a side note, top 10 lists for such things are a bit silly. They should have done a top 100 list. That would have went viral and offered information on lots of beautiful peaks we haven't heard of...although not sure if that's a good thing or not as popularity could explode.

I used to be a big supporter of Baxter's strict policies, but lately, they have been ridiculous. They had a post the other day on facebook saying that Tablets & Smartphones shouldn't be used as flashlights. I agree with on trails, but for camping they are fine (they didn't specify their target audience)

I believe the only required item (the only one I got asked about, well, except making sure I had no out-of-state firewood) is a flashlight. In that regard, a cell phone light does not meet their definition of a flashlight.

Tim

I believe the only required item (the only one I got asked about, well, except making sure I had no out-of-state firewood) is a flashlight. In that regard, a cell phone light does not meet their definition of a flashlight.

Tim

Do they ask all car campers this question? If so, that's a bit absurd don't you think?

Do they ask all car campers this question? If so, that's a bit absurd don't you think?

Number one reason they ask hikers, not car campers that question is because too many people call for rescue that don't have a flashlight after dark. Car campers don't leave their campfire and beer cooler. Hikers actually go someplace where there is no light, unless you bring it with you. Most of the rules Baxter has is in response to visitors stupidity.

Of all the places I've been in the east, there's Katahdin & Hamlin and then everything else. (Okay, ADK's Haystack is 2nd, after Haystack, any ordering is random and includes West Bond, Lincoln, Big Slide, (for it's view of Gothics). and ME's Saddleback. I'd probably include Camel's Hump so all four states with "high" peaks are covered. Had undercast on my Mt. Mitchell day which was neat but otherwise, not the same as our Alpine peaks. (Disclaimer, I'm a view junkie so wooded peaks won't make my list)

They asked me all three days I entered the park.

Tim

This article is also showing up in small papers all over. It was in Sarasota, FL as well as Hawaii and in between.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/outdoors/article_6a48972c-1b5a-11e5-80e9-dbcf71195798.html

In it, the author mentions climbing Katahdin and telling a ranger she had a flashlight when all she had was a cell phone app. They "never imagined" they'd be hiking after dark. They experienced rain, hail, and strong winds before eventually getting out using the cell phone to light their way after considering turning back but opting to continue on as the hours passed. They came out about 12 hours later. It's a bit dramatic.

Between the recent Scott Jurek AT record, the upcoming fall film release of "A Walk in the Woods," and now the National Geographic article placing Katahdin in a world class list, there may be a surge of interest in the park. PB may be right about the value of those reservations. I better get back before next year's wave hits.