Alaska a la carte

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichS

Reaction score
Spent 18 days in Alaska, 11 in an RV Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks-Valdez-Whittier-Anchorage, and 7 on a cruise Seward-Vancouver. Did five day hikes, in varied terrain and conditions.

Polychrome Pass (Denali, mile 46)
A trailless climb 600' above the park road, with views of Denali. As I approached the first summit, I looked up to see a caribou about 50 yards above me. He/she watched me for maybe 15 seconds, then descended towards me, only to turn to continue on the ridge. Glad it wasn't a brown bear or moose.
1507151457SummitPan1.jpg

Alpine trail (Denali Eielson, mile 66)
This is a popular trail that climbs 1100' above the interior visitor center. Lots of company on the trail, one of the few maintained trails in the park. I had hoped to continue up another 800' to Thorofare Mtn, but the wind was ferocious.
1507161257Col.jpg

Flattop Mountain, just east of Anchorage in the Chugach Mountains. Alaska's most popular hike. The last few hundred yards involve scrambling with liberal use of hands. The top of Flattop Mtn is ... flat. Downtown Anchorage is upper center, just before the channel, Knik Arm.
1507221017SummitPan7.jpg

My Juneau. Walk from the Juneau cruise terminal / downtown to Basin Road (Alaska's first real road) to Mt Juneau Trail. Above 1500' I could see 50 yards in any direction! There's an open building/shelter at the summit, 3576'. I passed two piles of bear scat, and had the trail/mountain to myself. This is a snowfield just below the summit.
1507261153Snowfield.jpg

Deer Mountain. Walk from the Ketchikan cruise terminal / downtown to 3001' summit. Again in clouds above 1500', but several other idiots on this trail in light rain. Summit photo says it all.
1507291341DeerMtnSummit.jpg

Alaska should be on your bucket list. Climb high or climb low. See grizzlies, moose, Dall sheep, caribou, Dall's porpoise, humpback whales, mountains, glaciers, ice fields, glacial rivers, and wilderness to the horizon.
If you return from your hike to a hot shower and baked salmon and crème brûlée, I won't tell.

Last edited: