Three Ponds, Mount Kineo Trails 8/2/2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
I hiked to Three Ponds region via Three Ponds Trail, then Donkey Cut-off, then Mount Kineo trail to high point on on Mount Kineo. I found Mount Kineo Trail confusing by it's on again/ off again sharing with various snow mobile roads. Some additional signage would help hikers. I managed to get myself on an abandoned section of Mt Kineo Trail which met up with snow mobile trail further on. It came back on the combined trail after 1/3 mile or so. I don't know what was worse the abandoned trail with its miserable footing or snow mobile trail with nice footing and extra 80 feet of elevation to hump over.

It was tricky to tell which way hiking trail went as it was combined with another snowmobile trail. I built a bigger cairn to mark spot where it splits off. Mt Kineo Trail is quite neglected and in need of brushing down low. Spruce boughs were growing into the trail at higher elevations. I was carrying a folding saw so I spent large amount of time hacking away at the spruce and now it is in pretty fair shape. I didn't touch brushing at lower elevations. Loppers needed for that sort of thing.

I returned by the Mount Kineo Trail back to Stinson Lake Road. No issues there. GPS track indicates round trip mileage ended up being 12.4 miles.

Last edited: