Four Days In Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBob

Reaction score
We took advantage of good weather forecast at the end of last week and booked a few nights at Gifford Woods State Park at the last minute.

Day 1: Pico: Drove over, then the Sherburne Pass Trail out-and-back. Nice walk and views from the summit, but all that communications gear on the summit is ug-lee.

Day 2: Mendon: We took the logging roads from the parking area at Brewers Corner and followed the red blazes left to the 'high road' to avoid water crossings. Eventually we rejoined the main road, which we left at the 'second' cairn (the one with the chain on it). Headed up, following some herd paths and keeping to the left and going up through open woods to well-defined herd paths to the summit. Back the same way. Nice, straightforward day. There was something going on at Killington; we could hear the music from Mendon's summit.

Day 3: Breadloaf and Wilson: Skylight Pond Trail to the LT, then LT to the spur trail for Breadloaf and then to Wilson. Skylight Pond trail was sweet. It has switchbacks. Don't see many of those. The hiking was excellent and completely made up for the sad little summit cairns and lack of views.

Day 4: Jay and Big Jay: We got a pretty late start and the drive was long, so we were at the trail head at about 11:30. But the weather was fine and the path, including the herd path to Big Jay, were in good shape. There was plenty of mud on the Big Jay herd path if you wanted to walk through it. We didn't. The summit of Jay is impressive. Getting down late was a win, as we came down 93 behind the big Sunday night traffic.

All in all, four pretty good days in Vermont.

Looks like four days well spent to me! Out of all of 'em, I've only done Pico. In winter. With a gazillion skiers on the summit and the roaring of the chairlift. Now that's anticlimatic. Fortunately I found some solace in the Pico cabin :cool: .