Jay Peak & Big Jay via Long Trail, bushwhack, Jay Camp Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 8-16-15

Trail Conditions: Mostly dry on the Long Trail. Some spots were just a little wet. The bushwhack is a well defined herd path but has plenty of mud. Paths around most of the deeper holes are forming. Some of the mud holes have debris that will hold you up, some don't. I found they were 10-12 inches deep at least in places. Jay Camp Loop is less traveled, but easy to follow. There is a brook right next to the camp with stones for crossing.

Special Equipment Required: None really, but pants might be helpful to those who don't want their legs scrapped up on the bushwhack. An extra pair of socks could be good to for after coming back through the mud.

Comments: Hot and humid today with almost no breeze, but it was nice to be back out checking peaks of the list. Plenty of parking on 242 at LT crossing. Easier grade than I was expecting given the distance to elevation gain ratio. The start of the bushwhack was very easy to spot and is just after a potentially slick rock slab on the LT and less than 100 feet from the fence. Go left around a blow down at the start and it's easy to follow after that. There are a couple of scrambles nearing the summit, but they can be done with care. Summit jar is just behind and to the left of the red sled. Being so hot out today, I took the Jay Camp Loop in hopes of finding a cool water supply so I could dump some over my head. There is a nice brook right next to it that worked great for this. Flat hike from there back to the car.

Your name: Adam Clark

Your E-mail address: sdways01atyahoodotcom