Decisions: Isolation or N. Tripyramid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
Not sure how, but I seem to have an infection on my big toe after a beach trip to Ocean City, MD. It's healing and I was hopeful it would be back to normal after today. Not so. I would like to finish my NH 4k by 1st week Oct. (I have a 4 week school to attend for work; mandatory and its in Langley, VA so I wont be able to play hooky). I have Isolation, Owl's Head, Bonds, and N. Tripyramid remaining. Isolation seems a little long and rough for risking a no go with a bad toe. I was thinking of N. Tripyramid as a little easier. I see long, but the topo contour lines don't look too bad for much of the Sabbady Brook trial.

Looking for your advice on the easiest way to hit N. Tyipyramid. The last time I was on Sabbady It was Feb in 2004 or 2005 and it was pouring rain with a decent snow cover and I'm remembering some rough water crossings. I realize the slide is what it is and won't be easy on a banged up toe. I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've been hitting the toe with basatracin and hydrogen peroxide. It may be a ok by thurs when I would like to be there. Much appreciated!

Isolation's a soaking mess right now and you probably don't want to exacerbate the toe with wet feet on a long day. It may be less bad if you do out-and-back via Glen Boulder. Water also knocks Owl's Head out of the running. Sabbaday can be wet; don't know current conditions. I wonder if Pine Bend would be better.

If your primary objectives are to minimize water crossings and scrambly sections, Pine Bend Brook would indeed be your best bet for a direct approach to one of those peaks. There's one moderate crossing and a few minor ones, and in contrast to Sabbaday I've never had a problem with them. There are a couple of minor ledges, bypassable in a pinch, and the overall pitch in pretty mellow. Best wishes for a speedy toe recovery.

tripyramids

If your primary objectives are to minimize water crossings and scrambly sections, Pine Bend Brook would indeed be your best bet for a direct approach to one of those peaks. There's one moderate crossing and a few minor ones, and in contrast to Sabbaday I've never had a problem with them. There are a couple of minor ledges, bypassable in a pinch, and the overall pitch in pretty mellow. Best wishes for a speedy toe recovery.
I agree with Alex. I would say it`s the easier of the bunch. Not many water crossings.

Seriously! If u can't figure out the trips on your own u better stay home on the couch?

Did you mean "Seriously? If you can't figure out the trips on your own you better stay home on the couch!".

One part is a statement, the other is a question.

You're welcome, from Conan the Grammarian.

Seriously though, kind of harsh don't you think?

Seriously! If u can't figure out the trips on your own u better stay home on the couch?

VFTT has always been a hiker friendly site with a free exchange of thoughts, ideas, knowledge and experiences. The genius of a forum like this when it comes to trails is that in addition to checking the trail guides you can ask specific questions and get first hand beta from those who have hiked the trails. Especially when you come from an area outside of New England as does Biscut it's a real help in making decisions on hikes to hear from those who know the territory. The more knowledge you have before going out the better and this type of exchange should be encouraged not discouraged.

The easiest approach and with no water crossings to deal with is from the other side taking the Livermore and Scaur Ridge trails reaching the Pine Bend Brook trail up on the ridge.
I keep on forgetting about that since I only think about the Trips from WV as the slides! This is totally the way to go, especially with a bum foot...a lot of the distance and not-zero amount of the elevation is on the Livermore road, which is very gentle.

I am curious how BISCUT wound up needing North but not Middle. There's got to be a story there.

I keep on forgetting about that since I only think about the Trips from WV as the slides! This is totally the way to go, especially with a bum foot...a lot of the distance and not-zero amount of the elevation is on the Livermore road, which is very gentle.

I am curious how BISCUT wound up needing North but not Middle. There's got to be a story there.

Agreed - if you just need North, then doing the out and back via Livermore Road/Scaur Ridge/Pine Bend has zero crossings and almost all mellow grades (aside from a couple of steep bits high up on the Pine Bend trail). Good luck!

There is a tradeoff, though: the Waterville Valley approach results in an 11.4 mile round trip, vs. 8 miles on the Pine Bend Brook approach. Both routes share the same steep ascent of the summit cone. In approaching that common 0.8 mile segment, the Livermore/Scaur Ridge route entails more distance with mellower grades. The Pine Bend Brook approach gets more to the point elevation-wise, and over the stretch where it's steeper than the Scaur Ridge Trail, there's a pretty good rock staircase. Toe's choice.

Alex

There's one other factor involved here also. From the point where Pine Bend Brook really starts to climb until the junction with Scaur Ridge the trail is very bony which doesn't hinder that much going up but I found it very tedious going down under summer conditions, while the Livermore and Scaur Ridge trails are extremely smooth under foot.

Did you go? Were you concerned about crossings or actually getting wet? How do your shoes fit? a bad toe in boots that allow your toes to hit the front of the boot may be worse. I was on Couchsachraga and the other two and came across a guy and his Dad, the son was wearing sandals. Keeping it in the fresh air may help, shouldn't sweat much.

Toes are funny and depending on your footwear, I think Isolation may be better, it's not as steep.

Mike P.: I ended up erring on the side of caution. It was still swollen and when I put my boot on as a test it felt pretty awkward. With my favorite time of year just arriving, I didn't want to chance it. I'll be hitting one of them next week! Probably going to be Isolation (depending on precip).