Journey's End Road-LT Northern Terminus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
I've been doing a section hike with my father of the Long Trail for almost ten years now. We will finish this year at the Canadian border, still need to nail down a weekend this fall for the last section. Also about ten years ago, my father dropped my brother off for a SOBO end-to-end in mid June. The road was too wet to make it to the end, and he described it as basically a jeep road with major washouts that a regular car had no hope of getting up. I assumed it was bad because it was June.

Now, we're both Vermonters. We'll drive up pretty much anything in any season and are familiar with dirt and gravel roads. However, the state of the Journey's End Road was bad enough that spring that he thinks we won't be able to get a car up anywhere near the terminus trailhead. The plan of course is to spot one car up there for the finish. It will be fall, so it should be drier, but...has anyone been up there lately? What is the state of the road in September-October? Is there anywhere to park and leave a car within a mile or two of the parking lot at the top? Can a medium size car (I have an Olds. Alero, so small, he can drive either the ford fusion or chevy Malibu) get up there in the fall (no SUVs or trucks in the family)?

Thanks!

We had no problems getting to the trailhead in a regular vehicle last month. Have driven to Journey's End trailhead many times without issue.

If you are really concerned, you could contact the Green Mountain Club.

Congratulations on your upcoming Long Trail finish.