6 Days on the Trails, Day 1 Kearsarge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get to spend a full week in NH this year so I tried to make the most of it by hiking every day. With fair days and sunny skies, I could do as many miles as my legs could take. This could be one long trip report so I'll split it up into a few shorter ones that reflect the individual day hikes. For the second year in a row, conditions were not right to attempt Owl's Head as a day hike on Sat 8/15. Last year it was high water and this year it was a forecast of mid-afternoon thunderstorms. So Kman (we've done at least one hike together for 25 of the last 30 years) and I decided we could get up and down Kearsarge North 3268 before the rain. Plus he likes fire towers.

This is a well trod path with an interesting stand of tall pines early on and then a steady moderate climb to the tower with a pretty long stretch of reasonably easy ledges. There are great views in all directions from the summit and we were the first to get up there on that day. The view S/SW to Chocorua, Passaconaway, the Sleepers, and the Tripyramids was particularly fine despite a lingering haze. The Moats are right in front of you and the Doubleheads are close by as well with Carter Notch off in the distance. The Pemi was fuzzy and Ids more difficult but in due time Stairs Mt revealed its distinctive profile. We got down by 2:15 pm even though we spent nearly an hour on top taking pix and waiting to see if the haze would clear. Thunderstorms arrived at exactly 2:30 pm and knocked out power in N Conway. Good timing. Trust your forecast.

Kearsarge North 020.jpgKearsarge North 018a.jpg

Day 2

Sunday is traditionally a day for cabin maintenance, a canoe ride on Streeter Pond and then Kman goes home and returns to work. I get to stay on and hike some more ("I can't help it if I'm lucky" Dylan, Idiot Wind) I still found time in the late pm to make a loop over Bald Mt 2340 and Artists Bluff at the top of Franconia Notch. There are nice views down the notch and of Echo Lake, Cannon ski area, and beyond to Lafayette and Franconia Ridge. Echo Lake looked so good I went for a swim afterwards.

Owls Head 007.jpgOwls Head 004.jpg