Crescent & Randolph Day 6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Randolph & Crescent

This is my last day in the Whites and the weather is still great and my legs are holding up so its all systems go for one last hike. I've been wanting to do this loop for a couple of years and at 6.5 miles and 2500 feet of elevation gain, its right in that moderate range that seems just right for the last day. There's a nice new trailhead with a large parking area now at the end of Randolph Hill Rd but I actually started at the old trailhead where Grassy Lane meets RH Rd because I wanted to go clockwise and try to get to Lookout Ledge before the clouds rolled in. I almost succeeded.

From Grassy Lane you hang a right on the Pasture Path which traverses a low wet area that's a little overgrown. It leads into the woods then gradually rises and meets Ledge Trail below Lookout Ledge 2260. There's a bench at a spot called The Eyrie just before Lookout Ledge. The view across into the heart of King Ravine is sublime. With Adams center stage, Madison left and Jefferson right, the symmetry is nearly perfect. The knobby Howker Ridge (I hiked it in 2013) brackets the eastern boundary and the distinctive Castellated Ridge (1986) brackets the western. Unfortunately, I never actually saw the summit of Madison because the clouds did roll in.

My best photo is taken from Randolph Hill Rd and shows JQ Adams to the left of Adams (photo#1). From Lookout Ledge I do get a good shot of a cloud hiding Madison, plus an exposed Adams and Sam Adams. (photo#2) The trail then climbs Mt Randolph 3081 fairly moderately. The viewless summit is marked by an RMC sign. Moose poop pellets begin to appear regularly. (photo#4) The area between Randolph and Crescent is quite scenic with birches, ferns, wildflowers, wet marshy areas and a mostly dirt treadway which is a nice change from the Cannon Balls. The trail continues its moderate climb up to Crescent 3251.

The north viewpoint is the biggest surprise of the day with fabulous views N/NW from Pliny to Starr King/Waumbek, to the Weeks (3), to Cabot, The Bulge and The Horn. (Last 3, photo#3) The south viewpoint is essentially the same as Lookout Ledge just higher. Same clouds as before as well. The descent off Crescent is steep in this direction and requires thoughtful foot placement. I successfully negotiated my way down and also back to the old trailhead with no mistakes despite some overgrown sections. This is a great hike and the Randolph Community Forest is a little gem, likely under-utilized but I hope not unappreciated. I just wish I had seen a moose. I know you're out there!

Randolph and Crescent 002.jpgRandolph and Crescent 012.jpgRandolph and Crescent 054.jpgRandolph and Crescent 030.jpg

Final Tally: 45.3 miles, 12,550 feet of elevation, one 4K, five 3Ks, three 2Ks

Last edited: