Cheap Hotel/Motel Near Pinkham Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
I am heading out to do Isolation next week. I realize the fall is here and rooms fill up and probably aren't going to be cheap. I figured I'd ask those who know! Issue: Leaving my home in NY at 3am and driving for 5 1/2 to 6hrs then hitting the trail takes its toll; Mentally and psychically. I was going to take my truck (F150) and sleep in the bed at the trailhead. BUT if I take my car (Maxima) I get a whole lot better gas mileage and save $48 in gas alone. Offsets the cost of a not so expensive room!

Any suggestions for not so pricey rooms? I's like to be $80-100 for the night. I would only be there form about 9pm to 5am.

BTW: If my NY residence had you wondering if I was ever a NE'er .... I think this thread and the mentally shines thru :)

There's still space listed at Pinkham for all nights of the next two weeks, $71 nonmembers incl. breakfast (although that's a 6am breakfast, IIRC.) $80 if you want your own room.

If you would sleep in the back of a F150, then why not stay at a WMNF campground and sleep in a tent? I've stayed at Wildwood Campground a few times the night before climbing at Cannon. It probably would be pretty empty midweek and the weather forecast is looking good. so you probably won't even need a tent. You can then drive through Lincoln in the morning, get breakfast and go over Bear Notch to Pinkham.

Last edited:
And keep in mind that sleeping at trailheads may get you a visit from a ranger or cop telling you to move on.

Consider Hiker's Paradise in Gorham. It's a bit further north but quite economical.

When we climbed Isolation we stayed at the Covered Bridge River View Lodge 58 White Mountain Highway in Jackson. It's not the nicest motel but it was clean and well under $100. I think we paid $60 but that was a few years ago.

We've also stayed at the Wildcat Tavern in Jackson which was slightly more expensive but a lot more comfortable. Also can recommend the Bartlett Inn in Bartlett which is hiker-friendly although a bit farther away.

Have not liked staying in Pinkham Notch lodge itself. Bunk beds, the lights stay on all night, no private bath, noisy, smelly.

After a long drive it's nice to be able to sleep in a quiet bed in the dark.

If I was you, I'd take the truck and stay at Dolly Copp campground on route 16. Any hotel in Gorham is going to set you back over 100 bucks and your just going to get up early anyway. Throw some wood in your truck, grab a bottle and camp out, way better then a stuffy room.

If you would sleep in the back of a F150, then why not stay at a WMNF campground and sleep in a tent? I've stayed at Wildwood Campground a few times the night before climbing at Cannon. It probably would be pretty empty midweek and the weather forecast is looking good. so you probably won't even need a tent. You can then drive through Lincoln in the morning, get breakfast and go over Bear Notch to Pinkham.

Pick up bed with nice pad and bad offers just as good a rest as a tent; without the set up or tear down.

There's still space listed at Pinkham for all nights of the next two weeks, $71 nonmembers incl. breakfast (although that's a 6am breakfast, IIRC.) $80 if you want your own room.

Certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but years ago I stayed there and I'd take the truck even in much lower temps and worse weather :rolleyes: Just sayin!

When we climbed Isolation we stayed at the Covered Bridge River View Lodge 58 White Mountain Highway in Jackson. It's not the nicest motel but it was clean and well under $100. I think we paid $60 but that was a few years ago.

We've also stayed at the Wildcat Tavern in Jackson which was slightly more expensive but a lot more comfortable. Also can recommend the Bartlett Inn in Bartlett which is hiker-friendly although a bit farther away.

Have not liked staying in Pinkham Notch lodge itself. Bunk beds, the lights stay on all night, no private bath, noisy, smelly.

After a long drive it's nice to be able to sleep in a quiet bed in the dark.

I'm going to look into this. Thanks.

If I was you, I'd take the truck and stay at Dolly Copp campground on route 16. Any hotel in Gorham is going to set you back over 100 bucks and your just going to get up early anyway. Throw some wood in your truck, grab a bottle and camp out, way better then a stuffy room.

Ohhhh this has crossed my mind. I rarely drink spirits, but I will certainly be hitting the Woodstock Brewery for food and drink before I retire for the evening.... Just have to make sure I don't stay toooo long at the brewery!

Overnight temps for next week and clear weather, just pointing to the truck so far.

The White Mountain Hostel in Conway would add a 30ish minute drive to Pinkham Notch, but would be under your price range.

http://wmhostel.com/

It's been a long time, but I used to stay there regularly in winter.

Last edited:
Pick up bed with nice pad and bad offers just as good a rest as a tent; without the set up or tear down.

I assumed you were taking the Maxima. Saving $48 in gas or around $60 for a room in exchange for the 20 minutes it takes to set up and tear down a tent has always been time well spent for me.

Last edited:
Biscuit:
Do you have a cap on your truck bed?
I carry a small mattress and sleep in mine at trailheads or wherever all the time.
My favorite is Lincolnwoods TH but you have to get there late (after 9?) after the rangers make their last pass.
For isolation I actually got away with sleeping in my truck in the Dunking Donuts parking lot near intersection of rts 16&301.
I hate paying for a motel or even a campsite if i'm arriving late and getting up early.
This week I did stay at a WMNF campground though (JJ) with my grandson. Short ride down down Bear notch to 302. It was a thursday night, I expect it would be full on a Fri or Sat though.

Biscuit:
Do you have a cap on your truck bed?
I carry a small mattress and sleep in mine at trailheads or wherever all the time.
My favorite is Lincolnwoods TH but you have to get there late (after 9?) after the rangers make their last pass.
For isolation I actually got away with sleeping in my truck in the Dunking Donuts parking lot near intersection of rts 16&301.
I hate paying for a motel or even a campsite if i'm arriving late and getting up early.
This week I did stay at a WMNF campground though (JJ) with my grandson. Short ride down down Bear notch to 302. It was a thursday night, I expect it would be full on a Fri or Sat though.

Oh man, we have the same tricks for sure. I have a Toyota ( 4th one) with a cap on the back. My bed is lined with plywood, covered in a 3 inch foam pad, with indoor outdoor carpet over that. It's a comfortable set-up and I do not miss the tent ritual. I also have slept at many trailheads as well as Pinkham Notch camp, if your stealthy it can be done. On cross country trips, many times when I'm only stopping for sleep and moving again, I use hotel parking lots. They are everywhere and if your kind of in discreet places, I've never been caught. Occasionally, I've even managed a continental breakfast.:eek: There are tricks that make this easier, like that spare Nalgene bottle marked with a skull and crossbones, if you catch my drift.;)

Worse case Walmart in Gorham allows campers in the lot. There are usually 5 to 20 rigs in a weekend. No facilities nearby once they shut down for the night.

Worse case Walmart in Gorham allows campers in the lot. There are usually 5 to 20 rigs in a weekend. No facilities nearby once they shut down for the night.

Walmart allows this across the country as well, and many truckers and travelers with campers take advantage of this.

Apparently Walmart's policy does vary. In some areas (non that I know of locally), they ban camping in their lots. It may be a local zoning issue.

Apparently Walmart's policy does vary. In some areas (non that I know of locally), they ban camping in their lots. It may be a local zoning issue.

I worked for the company for ten years ( Sam's club ) both here and out west. They allow use of their lots everywhere, but there may be local ordinances that prohibit overnight parking. I guess its best to check to be safe with each store.