Cheap Hotel/Motel Near Pinkham Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am heading out to do Isolation next week. I realize the fall is here and rooms fill up and probably aren't going to be cheap. I figured I'd ask those who know! Issue: Leaving my home in NY at 3am and driving for 5 1/2 to 6hrs then hitting the trail takes its toll; Mentally and psychically. I was going to take my truck (F150) and sleep in the bed at the trailhead. BUT if I take my car (Maxima) I get a whole lot better gas mileage and save $48 in gas alone. Offsets the cost of a not so expensive room!

Any suggestions for not so pricey rooms? I's like to be $80-100 for the night. I would only be there form about 9pm to 5am.

BTW: If my NY residence had you wondering if I was ever a NE'er .... I think this thread and the mentally shines thru :)

I've stayed at the Old Field House in Intervale and it was fine. It's on Rt 16A, which is a quiet road. Probably at the top of your price range. I've also stayed at motels right on Rt. 16 a couple of times and didn't sleep well because of the traffic noise all night long.

Edit: Perry's motel is also on Rt.16A and the prices seem to be in your range.

Last edited:
A number of years ago, when I was working on the Maine 4k'ers, I spent a $20 night in a shared room at the Stratton Motel, with the idea of supporting the local economy. The whole night I yearned to be sleeping in the back of my Suby wagon--the room was stuffy, the shades didn't sufficiently block the streetlight, & the mattress sagged from the second floor to the first. I'm all for supporting the local economy, but not at the expense of a decent night's sleep.

Ha! We have fond memories of waking up to a beautiful sunrise in a Walmart parking lot in North Dakota. The oil boom had absorbed accommodations of all kinds for many miles around. Never gave any thought to whether it was legal or not, having arrived well past midnight but have learned since that some of the big box stores makes this option available in many places. I do believe it is related more to zoning requirements and store hours than anything else. Sure beat a tired driver on the road for the public good.

With umpteen choices available I'm curious as to BISCUIT's selection though, if cost is not a consideration, I'm puzzled about the objection to Joe Dodge Lodge in Pankham Notch. We've used it as a convenient base camp, with breakfast available right there, a number of times and when we hiked Isolation we hiked out a different trail and hitchhiked back to our truck. On two other occasions we parked at the end of our trail and hitchhiked to Pinkham and on another time we inquired at dinner and got a ride back from a car spot at another destination. Such opportunitiess are not so readily available elsewhere since so many like minded hikers converge on that popular location.

Thanks for all the responses. Fun to read them as well as informative. I'm looking at the weather and thinking of getting my last Tripyramid in instead of Isolation. As of now, sunshine but 89F. Little too hot for Isolation IMHO.

Big changed have occurred in the sleeping facility. I am picking up a brand new truck tomorrow (F-150 6ft bed) and this truck gets 21mpg! Of course, being new new I have to break it in with a mountain trip and camping out the back! I'm sooo looking forward to my favorite season, FALL!!!

Sierra,

I tell you what, when your driving long distance in snow storms, nothing beats an oversize "skull & Cross" wide mouth jug!!

Forgot to add: I slept in the back of my truck at Sabbady Falls Picnic area. Trffic going by on the Kanc can be a little loud when its breaking dead silence; but otherwise uneventful night under the stars.