Black Mountain and Guinea Ponds via Guinea Pond Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Guinea Pond Trail is in good shape from Sandwich Notch Road. I tried to visit Guinea Pond. I was confused by fact that a post is there, but has no sign. My map & GPS said this was the trail so I followed it. The spur trail passes through marshy terrain. I got as far as stream too big to jump and with no rocks to rock hop so I turned back. I went further east along Guinea Pond Trail to a point east of the pond where terrain is not marshy at all and bush whacked less than 1/4 mile to the pond. Very nice pond. Perhaps a trail relocation is in order here.

The Black Mountain Pond Trail is very nice trail. It passes a number of Beaver Meadows along the way. Most reports say this trail is very wet. The brooks all looked pretty anemic on this day. There are numerous water crossings could be difficult if it has been rainy or spring snow melt, but during dry spell like it has been wetness was never an issue.

The trail has numerous step overs barely worth mentioning, but otherwise is in fine shape.

Black Mountain pond is beautiful. I encountered two parties camping at the designated campsite. Besides these campers I only encountered one other solo hike on this 10.5 mile out-and-back hike.