Did Caltopo.com Close?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the CalTopo.com site closed down? I haven't been able to do anything on the site since early Friday and have tried on several different computers with different ISP's so I'm pretty sure it isn't my stuff causing the issue. I Googled but didn't find any news items on it. I'm hoping they didn't close. Have been using heavily for printing maps, making jpegs of tracks, etc.

Can anyone recommend a comparable free site? I love CalTopo's ease of use and depth of features. If it is indeed going away I'm hoping there are some alternatives out there.

Interesting. Wonder why that is. Tried on three computers and won't load on any of them. I get the top menu bar, the drop down menus but no map, even after several minutes. All my PC's are Windows 10 and it has been working fine. Do either of you use Windows 10?

It's working for me this morning but slowly. No idea what the issue is. Thanks.

My home router uses blacklists to block ads (centralized ad-blocking). On one occasion, a freshly downloaded blacklist disabled Caltopo. All it displayed was the menus but no map. I checked the router logs and found Caltopo was calling on yahooapis.com. I whitelisted this site and Caltopo's full functionality was restored.

If you are using browser-based ad-blocking, it may be possible that yahooapis.com was blocked.

I suppose that is a possibility. About 2 days after my last post everything started working again just fine. I assume some background update to Windows, my firewall or an ad blocker self corrected the problem. I do use the same programs on all of my PC's so the fact that it didn't work on any of my machines makes this seem highly likely. Thanks for the suggestion though. That is a strong possibility. If it happens again I'll start my research there.