Frayed Shoelace Ends

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Anybody have a good, lasting tip for keeping the ends of shoelaces on hiking boots from fraying and unraveling? I don't ever remember having problems like this in my life but both pairs of Asolo boots I have owned have had the little tabs on the end rip off and they unravel into a stringy, multi-corded tripping hazard. The fact that the laces are on the long side no doubt lets them get underfoot and destroyed.

So I'd like to trim the length a bit and permanently crimp in some way. Any ideas? Or better still are there brands of shoe lace that are more durable in construction? Thanks in advance.

Not a lot of good reviews. I was wondering if simple shrink tubing would be durable enough. I have it at work. I guess I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the link.

Shoe Goo?

I'd think that dipping the ends of the shoelace in Shoe goo, or really any waterproof glue, ought to do the trick...

And since you say the laces are on the long side, if that doesn't work, you can always clip them a bit and try something else...

TomK

If your laces are made of nylon, you can fuse the ends with the heat from a cigarette lighter.

And no matter the material, a nice tight knot at the end will keep the fraying in check.

Shoe goo is a great idea. I'm not optimistic about heat-shrink tubing; I used to have a bunch around and would try it on similar projects, but I found it's not very durable nor does it shrink far enough for a really tight fit.

I have tried heat shrink in the past. It looks good but isn't a long term fix. A permanent fix is to dip it the ends in epoxy resin but not many folks keep epoxy in stock (unless they build boats).

"Are you a shoe lace?"

"No, I'm a frayed knot."

You can use para cord for shoelaces and you likely won't ever break a pair again. If you do, it's just paracord.

Leave them a bit longer than you like, melt the ends with fire as was suggested. When they fray, cut an inch, remelt. It would also be possible to use the plastic tubes used for electrical joints/splice unions over the end of the lace and crimp them in place. The question is whether you can find a low enough diameter one to go through the lace holes. I have small ones, but you would need a smaller size than I have.

'Butt splice wire connectors' are the specific kind I mean. I've not done this, but am sure it would work well if you can find a small enough one. Most hardware or home improvement stores have them. Google a picture.

If your laces are made of nylon, you can fuse the ends with the heat from a cigarette lighter.
I have done this several times and it seems to work pretty well for me. I will just add that I wrap the lace/paracord end in folded aluminium foil to get a nicer tip after melting.

I have done this several times and it seems to work pretty well for me. I will just add that I wrap the lace/paracord end in folded aluminium foil to get a nicer tip after melting.

Great tip about how to get a nice tip on a melted cord end - I could've used that on innumerable occasions!

However, in this case of a set of OEM Asolo shoe laces with frayed ends, I had to chuckle when taking in this discussion thread and the various constructive ideas. Amid all the suggestions about what might most easily and effectively solve the problem, what I didn't see was:

Why not drop $5 on a new set of laces? If you choose the correct length, they won't get stepped on, the aglets won't get destroyed, and you'll snag (vs. fray) a virtually permanent solution for the effort, thought, and time commitment of sauntering into and out of the store.

Radical, I know, but I encourage you to consider it . . .

Alex

Why not drop $5 on a new set of laces? If you choose the correct length, they won't get stepped on, the aglets won't get destroyed, and you'll snag (vs. fray) a virtually permanent solution for the effort, thought, and time commitment of sauntering into and out of the store.

I wish, and this is not a slight on you, Alex, that the world went back to producing items that were serviceable and repairable rather than disposable. Laces are not probably not a big environmental impact, but, a special trip to the store has an impact (more if you drive then if you ride or walk) and if I can repair them now I can use them now (or tomorrow) without the added trip.

Tim

Wear gaitors. Or use a flame to melt the ends or a good non- water soluble glue.

Great tip about how to get a nice tip on a melted cord end - I could've used that on innumerable occasions!

However, in this case of a set of OEM Asolo shoe laces with frayed ends, I had to chuckle when taking in this discussion thread and the various constructive ideas. Amid all the suggestions about what might most easily and effectively solve the problem, what I didn't see was:

Radical, I know, but I encourage you to consider it . . .

Alex

Most of the trails I hike don't have an EMS mobile kiosk that follows me around while I hike. :)

All kidding aside, it is a hell of a lot quicker to fix at my house and many of these solutions can travel with me for an on site repair, which is part of my intent. And who's to say the new laces don't fray on the next trip out? I hate the feel of gaiters but am looking into some other options I've read about in a separate thread that's going.

l
Most of the trails I hike don't have an EMS mobile kiosk that follows me around while I hike. :)

All kidding aside, it is a hell of a lot quicker to fix at my house and many of these solutions can travel with me for an on site repair, which is part of my intent. And who's to say the new laces don't fray on the next trip out? I hate the feel of gaiters but am looking into some other options I've read about in a separate thread that's going.

Whew....this thread is starting to read like Defrayed Gate.

I wish, and this is not a slight on you, Alex, that the world went back to producing items that were serviceable and repairable rather than disposable.

I'm with you. Totally apart from whatever the time/cost/environmental tradeoffs are, it somehow feels wrong to toss something whose failure has a really minor root cause, simply because the design doesn't provide for easy mitigation of that minor root cause. While I think the pro's and con's pretty much wash to a matter of personal preference in the case of shoelaces, the same can't be said for a $200 flat-screen TV with a blown audio output chip. In the latter case, unless you're in the <50% of electronics engineers who'd go for it, there's not a cost/energy effective option for getting the thing fixed vs. just replaced. Or worse still, a bunch of annoying bad+bright pixels.

I'm pretty confident that you get this, but since FrayedGate has been called, I might as well be thorough...

Laces are not probably not a big environmental impact, but, a special trip to the store has an impact ... If I can repair them now I can use them now (or tomorrow)...
All kidding aside, it is a hell of a lot quicker to fix at my house and many of these solutions can travel with me for an on site...

Fraying likely has been a slow process that a hiker has been noticing for a while and can probably put up with for a while longer. The obvious approach to making good use of the store is simply to live with the frays and/or temporary at-the-house-or-on-site expedient until there's a bigger reason to get near to inside the store (well, or your chair to use REI.com or Amazon). "Shoelaces" just needs to get added to the shopping list. Net added time: next to zero. Although, as far as being quick goes, sadly we've already blown it just in the process of starting and then attending to this VFTT thread, me especially. :-(

And who's to say the new laces don't fray on the next trip out?

You just have to tie your laces such that the ends and loops don't hang down below the top of your uppers. You can do this either by using shorter laces, or by using a 3-stage tie in rather than the standard 2 stages.

Most of the trails I hike don't have an EMS mobile kiosk that follows me around while I hike.

Next best thing: perhaps your hiking companions are following this thread, and will bring along a set of laces to surprise you with when you turn around.

Lastly, don't get me wrong. Although I think I'm calling it right when it comes to shoelaces, anyone taking a look at the extra stitching and seam seal on my Osprey packs will be quick to understand that I'm much more a fixer than a replacer. It's been a long and hard process to learn where to draw the line and realize that however elegant it may to spend a crazy amount of time fixing some inexpensive thing simply because I can, it's a real waste of scarce time vs. the alternative uses for that time. Buying new shoelaces goes against my grain too, but I've concluded that it really is one of life's true no-brainers.

The 'good' news: it doesn't come up that often because these days: my laces and associated aglets are fairly consistently outlasting the shoes they're threaded onto.

Alex

I get my laces from Limmer, they never fray. I like fixing my gear as well, but laces, I'd just buy good ones, two pairs at a time.

I solved the problem by going to MEC and buying Perlon. Any shop that sells climbing gear will have it and heat cut it to your desired length. I use 3mm for trail shoes and 4mm for boots. It will never fray, will outlast your footwear and holds a knot beautifully (or more people would die).

I hope this helps.