Moriah Brook Bridge Closed in Wild River Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little of that over here in the Adirondacks. Fortunately, our trails and bridges seem to be surviving. But we have the same problem with morons rabid to declare everything a wilderness, even if it's criss-crossed with roads and bridges. Then they have a conniption trying to figure out what to do with the roads and bridges in their newly declared "wilderness."

That bridge isn't actually in the Wilderness but leads shortly *to* the Wilderness. Sounds like it might be replaced?

I hope so. Have you seen any news on the WMNF site about future projects? I was hoping to do that trail "soonish", but a difficult ford would be a problem.

I hope so. Have you seen any news on the WMNF site about future projects? I was hoping to do that trail "soonish", but a difficult ford would be a problem.

Hi! No idea about the future projects.... BUT, a friend just crossed the bridge less than a week ago (apparently before the sign was put up) - she saw no problem with it. Water is low now, so, you could take your chances at the crossing... BUT, if it were me, I'd take the bridge as long as it stands (DON"T SHOOT ME ANYONE!!!)

How many of the suspension bridges remain in the WMNF and where are they? I used to use this one a lot and really liked its location. Back in the early 80s when I was the adopter of the Black Angel trail I used to be able to drive almost all the way to the old location of Spider Bridge. I even remember the little meteorological station building up in there.

How many of the suspension bridges remain in the WMNF and where are they? I used to use this one a lot and really liked its location. Back in the early 80s when I was the adopter of the Black Angel trail I used to be able to drive almost all the way to the old location of Spider Bridge. I even remember the little meteorological station building up in there.

To my knowledge:
There are only two suspensions bridges remaining in Wilderness areas: Dry River and the Great Gulf/Madison Gulf river crossing near "The Bluff".

NOT in a Wilderness area, but, providing access to trail system include the following:
- the suspension bridge crossing the Pemi at the Lincoln Woods Trailhead
- the suspension bridge near the Great Gulf Trailhead (which REALLY reminds me of the OLD suspension bridge removed a few years back, in the Pemi), and, possibly others.
- the bridge near the Ethan Pond/Shoal Pond Trail (AT crosses) - I forget if it's a suspension or not
- maybe others - ?

I am sorry I never got to cross the Spider Bridge!!!

Last edited:
That bridge isn't actually in the Wilderness but leads shortly *to* the Wilderness. Sounds like it might be replaced?

Reading the article it only cited safety as the reason. I crossed it in May with fairly low water and didn't take note of the erosion by the bridge so much as the wide swath that was cut (and tried to imagine being there during Irene - that must have been crazy intense). That isn't wilderness, so it could be rebuilt, but I'd be surprised if that happened. We did the ford via the Shelburne Trail, and that wasn't bad (about 2.5' deep). Since that is downstream from the bridge, I imagine the crossings might be similar in terms of water flow. I think I'd rather do that crossing than the East Branch on any given day.

Isn't the point of this bridge for safe crossing of the Wild River back to the campground? Hence the name Highwater Tr to parallel the river and bring you to the bridge when the water is too high to cross along the other trails. Hopefully it will be fixed.

So what exactly is the "easiest" way to get into the Wild River Wilderness now with all the bridge issues? I was hoping to do a loop through there coming in from Wild River Campground, heading to Moriah Brook Trail to go up to the Carters and returning via either Black Angel or Rainbow Trail. Is that not possible now with the bridge out or is this just a higher water concern? Curious. The trail descriptions for both Highwater Trail and Wild River Trail sound like there are problem crossings.

You also want to be careful where the Spider Bridge used to be - if it's flowing, watch out.

In any case, it's hard to avoid having to cross the Wild River but everything is so dry, water crossings should not be a problem right now.

Comment period open for the Moriah Bridge Removal Project:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD504400

Actually, this isn't scoping of the actual bridge removal, but just for mitigation measures pertaining to removal of a historic structure. It's a seemingly subtle but significant difference. I'm not sure when the comment period for the actual removal/replacement will occur.

The WMNF is seeking public input on the following proposed mitigation measures to compensate for the adverse effect to the historic bridge:
Document the historic structure and make the information available to the public through new signs interpreting the bridge’s history at the nearby Wild River Campground or along the trail near the former crossing, and/or on the WMNF website.
Retain the original engineering plans in perpetuity in the WMNF cultural resource files.
If you would like to comment on the proposed mitigation measures described above, please contact Jonathan Ruhan, White Mountain National Forest Heritage Program, 71 White Mountain Drive, Campton NH, 03223 or [email protected] or 603-536-6239, by June 30, 2016.