blisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I`ve been having problems on occasion with blisters on my big toe. I was thinking of trying those toe socks they sell to help prevent this. Has anyone tried them out? Sometimes on longer hikes, because my toes rub together on one of my feet, I`ll get blisters.

For some strange reason I do not get blisters. Any more. Conditioning? Do you wear liner socks? Boots too tight?

I`ve been having problems on occasion with blisters on my big toe. I was thinking of trying those toe socks they sell to help prevent this. Has anyone tried them out? Sometimes on longer hikes, because my toes rub together on one of my feet, I`ll get blisters.

Do your feet get really sweaty?

Mine do and a change of my smartwool Phd socks is usually all it takes to stave off blisters. The fit of your boots may be an issue as well, but I would start with a fresh pair of socks when things get really damp.

I hope this helps,

Z

Blisters on the big toes usually means that your boot is too big, or at least that something is loose and your foot is sliding forward when descending.

Three tips for this:

1) If wearing hiking boots don't tie them the regular way, but rather use a knot system (forgot name) whereby you make the knot down where your foot is (3rd from top usually)... maybe someone here knows the name of this method and how to explain it

2) Put (slather) regular Vaseline (100% petroleum jelly) on the bottom of your toes or wherever blisters tend to occur on you before hike each time. This usually solves the problem.

3) Wear a liner sock under your regular sock. Although make sure this doesn't make your boot (or trail runner) too tight. If so try to get a thinner regular sock or re-lace your footwear to make space for extra sock bulk.

If none of this works its time to get better fitting footwear.

I often have that problem with my Vasque boots on hikes in excess of 6 miles. I've never had a problem with any of my other boots. I wear the same sock combo for all my boots. I like the boots so when I do wear them I wrap the toe, where the blister occurs, with a medical adhesive tape. Have not had any problems when the toe is wrapped.

I used to get blisters and also dead toe nails in the beginning...and sadly sometimes even now, when I feel I know my feet so much better. One thing that I discovered was I needed to get wide width boots. Another was to make sure on descents that the boot-laces were tightly tied so that my foot did not move forward and slam my toes against the front of the toe-box. Third is make sure the boots you are wearing are the right size...bring the socks you will be wearing with you when you try on boots (like a thick wool sock) and lastly... whenever you feel a hot spot start to begin, attend to it immediately (advise I wish I took more often). Cover the area with athletic tape or mole skin. Yeah, band-aides do not stay on.

I agree with a lot of the above suggestions. I have a small tip as well, try wrapping your toe with athletic tape.