H2H round 2 A FINE WEEKEND AHEAD for 50+miles in 24 hrs!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
My son, Nate will re-attempt a H2H this Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

First attempt end of July, was 30 out of 52 miles done. 2am start from Carter with wet rocks slowed earlier hours esp up to Madison via Osgood. Attempt was called just past Crawford, as his hiking partner was fighting unhappy knees, and once they descended into the valley they hit the proverbial wall of heat and humidity. Temp was high 80's with high humidity as well.

Nate is going solo this time so if there are any other H2H'ers eyeing this weekend, his plans are as follows:
Camp Dodge tenting Saturday afternoon (he was West Rotator backcounty caretaker this summer allowing him access to Camp Dodge), in to Carter Sat pm, not sure what time yet. Depart Carter 2am, daylight breaks (fog dependent) on Osgood ridge around 6am.

I am a Vol at Hi C from Friday to Monday this weekend, so I can hold re-supply items, and am available for bail-out, but hopefully completion rides.

While caretaker, Nate was able to go from Liberty campsite to 13 falls hang out for several hours and back to Liberty all in one day/night so he is familiar with all aspects of the H2H geography, he will most def be in haul-ass mode. He hopes to finish before midnight, closer to 10pmish if possible.

Since I wont be around a computer after tonight, please feel free to leave messages for him via myself at Hi C, or via Camp Dodge for him (the cook there knows him well)

Enjoy the long weekend!
Sue
Ctsparrow

Sue, I had almost the identical 30-mile experience last month (although MadGulf was involved rather than Osgood) and share his frustration. Amid my circle of H2Hers, it's a really common scenario. Nice and dry (both air and ground) is definitely the right formula.

Because of competing hike commitments, my own next attempt likely will happen next season. Nate has my best wishes, and good on him for getting the next attempt in this season!

Alex