The Bigelows (wow, pretty popular this week)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
Day of Hike:September 5, 2015

Trails Hiked: Counterclockwise loop, Fire Warden's Trail to Horns Pond Trail, to AT, over the tops, down the Fire Warden's Trail

Trail Conditions:WOW MATC does a fine job with these trails. Only one part of the Fire Warden's trail blocked by blow-down (easily skirted). Otherwise, pristine from end to end. Almost no mud to speak of.

Bugs:Those annoying black bugs that hover around and mess up your photographs with their smudges. They were only on the summits. Otherwise, no bugs.

Other: My second trip in this area, hiked to grab the S. Horn for my NEHH list. 40 degrees at the start, warmed up fast. Skipped Avery Peak on the way down, though my friend did it and reported great trail conditions there as well. WOW that Fire Warden's Trail is steep up top. Looks like you lose 700 feet in .3 miles, then another 700 feet in the next .6 miles. Got a great quad burn out of that. Plenty of people enjoying this trail for the Labor Day weekend.

The springs are running pretty dry, and there is a warning on one near the Bigelow col regarding questionable water quality. Best to bring plenty of water.

A great day in the mountains.