Leaves starting to turn in the north country 9/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
While driving around Gorham and Berlin this AM I noticed the first hints of color in some of the trees. I expect some are just stressed but there were plenty of what looked like healthy trees that had some color. I have a few red maples that normally turn early and one of them is going on 80%.

This was my first chance to make the loop up over Cates Hill in Berlin to look over at the wind farm under construction. Despite being 600 feet lower than the Jericho wind farm, the view of the turbines under construction is impressive, although I expect the homeowners in the Grandview Meadows development are less than thrilled about their new "grandview" of the turbines in the foreground.

Leaves are turning in Southern Vermont too - especially at higher elevations in the Southern Vt Green Mountain National Forest. I love fall, the colors are beautiful.

While driving around Gorham and Berlin this AM I noticed the first hints of color in some of the trees. I expect some are just stressed but there were plenty of what looked like healthy trees that had some color. I have a few red maples that normally turn early and one of them is going on 80%.

We've been dry as a bone here in CT for a couple months, so our leaves are turning sooner than yours in places. I was hiking Sunday at Talcott Mountain, the most prominent peak in Hartford County, and its upper reaches were showing quite a bit of color. Even in the flats where I live in town, with a higher water table, there's a good amount of color already.

9/28 - Well some trees started changing early but then the majority of the trees are stayed green. Lot of unhappy tourists wandering around looking for significant color.

This is definitely the latest I have seen a color changes since I moved into the area. Barring significant weather I expect Columbus Day weekend may be the peak up north.

No foliage color to speak of in Mt. Washington Valley this weekend as far east and north as Eastman Mountain (SW part of Evans Notch). With the protracted dry conditions, it seems like the trees are going from green to brown, skipping the colors.

How's the color up north? (2016)

The black birch next to my house in Connecticut is already in full color, and when I went up I 91 to Brattleboro from here over the Labor Day weekend, I noticed some faint hints of color on the sides of the road.

Am planning to do Mt Willard Monday for the views, will I see any color?

TomK

The black birch next to my house in Connecticut is already in full color, and when I went up I 91 to Brattleboro from here over the Labor Day weekend, I noticed some faint hints of color on the sides of the road.

Am planning to do Mt Willard Monday for the views, will I see any color?

TomK

I was in the Crawford Notch area about a week ago and there are some hints of color but nothing dramatic. Seemed to be a bit more color heading down Rte 3 toward Cannon Mt. Occasional splashes of color in wetland areas. But all in all, not much was happening yet.