Cedar Brook Trail reroute in progress???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
We headed out to do the Hancocks this morning. Hancock Notch Tr section went fine, and then onto Cedar Brook Tr. At a point just before one of the brook crossings we missed a left-hand turn and plunged straight ahead on what looked like a trail thru a lovely mossy area. Very soft underfoot. Evidence of trees recently cut down, orange tape on several trees, a brand new section of bog bridge. "Hmm, have they rerouted the trail since I last did it in 2009?" After a while this "trail" petered out, so we backtracked and found the turn we'd missed. Probably cost us 15 or 20 minutes.

hmmmm... about a month ago I didn't notice that - ? Must be recent? Perhaps where there are already herd paths bypassing the brook crossings?

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading about a relocation proposal in this area that was going to eliminate two of the brook crossings. Last year I believe someone on this forum posted the WMNF project list for the year or some similar document and it was in that. I apologize I can't think of the VFTT member who did it but he regularly posts very detailed information on stuff like this with the supporting documents from the WMNF. Most of you probably know who I mean. (My memory with names is horrendous). I think it was possibly in same document with the Greeley Pond trail work and some changes to trails in that area.

Actually found some references to this relocation here on VFTT going back to a trip report in 2006. No links to the particulars though. Just discussions about the route.

IIRC, there was a plan to eliminate some of the stream crossings, but I cannot lay my hands on the info at the moment...

Pete Smart (psmart)?

Tim

Yes! Thanks. Sorry Pete. Recognized your photo as soon as I saw it. You post very detailed info. Always take the time to read your replies on here when I see them.

My wife and I are the adopters for the Cedar Brook trail and we're heading out there this weekend. June asked for an update yesterday (9/23) from Jenny Burnett of the WMNF regarding the recent trail work done out there and this is the latest and greatest from Jenny as of 9/24:

"We are heading out to Cedar Brook tomorrow to finish the relocation we started maybe 5 or 6 weeks back. The entire crew was sent out west to fight fire before we could wrap it up so we are sort of expecting a bit of a mess out there as folks have probably been attempting to use the new route. We hope to finish tomorrow and block off the old routes but if not we'll get in there Monday and wrap."

It's a good thing.

John & June

My wife and I are the adopters for the Cedar Brook trail and we're heading out there this weekend. June asked for an update yesterday (9/23) from Jenny Burnett of the WMNF regarding the recent trail work done out there and this is the latest and greatest from Jenny as of 9/24:

"We are heading out to Cedar Brook tomorrow to finish the relocation we started maybe 5 or 6 weeks back. The entire crew was sent out west to fight fire before we could wrap it up so we are sort of expecting a bit of a mess out there as folks have probably been attempting to use the new route. We hope to finish tomorrow and block off the old routes but if not we'll get in there Monday and wrap."

It's a good thing.

John & June

Oh, good. It wasn't done by leprachans, and I wasn't just imagining it. The mossy section sure was pretty, but no doubt it will get worn down to bare rocks in time.

We were out there on Saturday and the trail relocation is complete. The entrance/exit to the old trail is screed off on both ends. There is still some flagging remaining. No paint blazes yet and I don't know if they will be painting any. The relo is about 0.2m long.

Four crossings are now eliminated on the Cedar Brook trail.

We were out there on Saturday and the trail relocation is complete. The entrance/exit to the old trail is screed off on both ends. There is still some flagging remaining. No paint blazes yet and I don't know if they will be painting any. The relo is about 0.2m long.

Nice to run into you guys Saturday at Lincoln Woods. Thanks for your work on the trails.

Larry

There is still one crossing of the North Fork to cross on the Cedar Brook trail. Then there still is one more crossing of the North Fork to cross on the Hancock Spur trail.

Out of the six previous crossing's of the North Fork, two still remain to be crossed.

Great to see Jazzbo, LarryD and Marty on the trail and parking lot. Thanks for the brewski, Larry!

The next obvious question : How will the reroute ski? :)

The next obvious question : How will the reroute ski? :)

Very nicely. All of Cedar Brook looks good for skiing (once we get snow) with the exception of two really large blowdowns just past the Hancock Spur trail. Hopefully the Forest Service can take care of them before the snow flies.

There is one really tricky spot just before Camp 24. If skiing to LW from hairpin turn, it's on a downhill where it comes out right next to Cedar Brook. The banking is undercut so one has to stay to the extreme right or risk a 15' fall to the brook below. This spot is about four miles in on the Cedar Brook trail.

Very nicely. All of Cedar Brook looks good for skiing (once we get snow) with the exception of two really large blowdowns just past the Hancock Spur trail. Hopefully the Forest Service can take care of them before the snow flies.

There is one really tricky spot just before Camp 24. If skiing to LW from hairpin turn, it's on a downhill where it comes out right next to Cedar Brook. The banking is undercut so one has to stay to the extreme right or risk a 15' fall to the brook below. This spot is about four miles in on the Cedar Brook trail.

That spot near camp 24 was a little challenging to ski last winter - just really had to pay attention there :) There are other gullies that present challenges as well (need to turn quickly once around the stream). We did it westbound (Hancock Notch to Lincoln Woods)

That spot near camp 24 was a little challenging to ski last winter - just really had to pay attention there :) There are other gullies that present challenges as well (need to turn quickly once around the stream). We did it westbound (Hancock Notch to Lincoln Woods)

Those gullies are exceptionally challenging when the snow is deep and unconsolidated. The deep snow just swallows up skiers as the steep drop takes them in and refuses to let them up the other side. Forward momentum comes to a quick stop at the bottom of the gullies. Tropical storm Irene certainly added to the enjoyment of the gullies!

J&J Nice see you folks again so soon. Nice to meet Larry D the Brewmeister and Marty after so many years. I see Big Foot all the time. He even has email now.

Thanks especially for showing me the antique outhouse on East Side Road. What number is that on the New England Outhouse List?

IMG_0788-M.jpg

Last edited: