Is it possible to be a long-term hiker without resorting to lists?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the trails are empty at night. :)

Two or three years ago I led an AMC night traverse of the Presidential Ridge. I was stunned to see how many other folks we saw up there at night! I suspect TJs Name is correct that most trails are empty, and if there's one exception, especially on a weekend in the summer, it's the Presidential Ridge. Not a lot of people, to be certain, but there will be someone, somewhere, hiking deep into the night, if not the next morning.

Brian

Two or three years ago I led an AMC night traverse of the Presidential Ridge. I was stunned to see how many other folks we saw up there at night! I suspect TJs Name is correct that most trails are empty, and if there's one exception, especially on a weekend in the summer, it's the Presidential Ridge. Not a lot of people, to be certain, but there will be someone, somewhere, hiking deep into the night, if not the next morning.

Brian

I suspect that that full moon on a weekend would also bring a lot of people out above treeline. In my many miles of night hiking I have run into very few people, but I have generally been on less popular trails. Oddest one was running into a guy in Bunnel Notch around 8:30pm in mid march March a couple years ago. I ran into a snowmobiler at the Bennet Street trail head at 3am a couple winters ago, which was a fun encounter (he was wondering where he was). Other than that, it has been pretty empty for me.

Most of the trails are empty at night. :)

I am surprised sometimes at night....not often. Coming off Bondcliff's summit last summer at near midnight, I had just descended the boulder scramble when I nearly ran into a hammock strung across the trail. After another 20 minutes or so, a hiker ascending the trail passed me and was going to run into the same hammock.

I am surprised sometimes at night....not often. Coming off Bondcliff's summit last summer at near midnight, I had just descended the boulder scramble when I nearly ran into a hammock strung across the trail. After another 20 minutes or so, a hiker ascending the trail passed me and was going to run into the same hammock.

Haha - that's great. I'm surprised someone set up a hammock blocking the trail, but I bet they thought they'd be the last asleep/first up. When I slept on the summit of Flume this spring there was still room to walk by (and someone ran by at 6am). That was a 3am arrival at the summit and we saw no one on the hike. The trails and summits at nighttime are very nice, but I suspect the nighttime 48 won't become a big list, but there are ways to make things more interesting that result in some kind of list, such as if someone made a list of spots for sunrise or sunset. It would need a snazzy name, and of course some of those would be dependent on the time of year! I think the 52 WAV list in interesting because it's more subjective - so one might look at the list and say 'let me see what all the fuss is about'. The 48, using elevation for inclusion, are less subjective (but not 100% so, I know).

I've rested for a while on quite a few summits and/or open ridges, and never seen someone come by. It's possible they went by unnoticed.

Some years ago now, going up to New Hampshire started to lose some of the magic. So my friend who goes by HikesWithKat and I section hiked the Long Trail over the course of the next three years. We went up once a month, and Hurricane Irene caused us a great deal of delay, but I have to say, it was incredibly fun hiking somewhere I hadn't been before. Each trip was a new adventure, and it really wasn't all that much farther.

I used to hike in the same places over and over again. A transformative moment came to me when I started geocaching and became motivated to discover and explore new trails and places every time I was going out. I use geocaching map as a guide - if there is a geocache somewhere then most likely there is some reasonable way to get to it. I search for trail maps and if I don't find them I go out anyways and explore without a map. It's often a lot of fun to venture into a little bit of unknown!