Caps Ridge Trail in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last spring I posted about attempting Jefferson under wintry conditions via the Jewell Trail. If the conditions are perfect, gosh, what a magnificent day! Less-than-perfect conditions, not so much.

Via either Lowes or Jewell Trails, it's 11 miles roundtrip. Via Caps Ridge, it's 5 miles. Six mile difference.

It got me thinking: does anybody simply snowshoe/cross country ski down the road leading to the Cog Railway out and back and do Jefferson from Caps Ridge in the winter? If the road walk is less than three miles one-way, it might not be a bad way to do it, especially if snowmobiliers have packed down the road.

Brian

I actually did Caps ridge on a very low snow year on the day after new years by driving up Jefferson Notch Road from Jefferson and parking in the parking lot. It was a quick hike. While coming down we met some folks who had driven up from the Cog side . The road was open so it was a legal 4K. I would expect the wind keep the snow off the caps but could be interesting in spots. There have been a few winter rescues that have used this access point via snowmobile. I don't see why it would not be possible from the Cog. Boundary line trail would cut out some elevation but I don't know if the bridge was ever replaced (the same one Jewell trail used). I expect boundary line trail would need to be broken so its probably no time savings than going up a packed trail.

I don't know if the bridge was ever replaced (the same one Jewell trail used). I expect boundary line trail would need to be broken so its probably no time savings than going up a packed trail.

The bridge over the Ammonoosuc River near the USFS lot has been replaced, I hiked over it a week ago. Be aware that the parking lot is closed and gated in the winter.

That is a substantial road walk isn't it? I think 3.6 miles from Cog Road (I'm not in front of my AMC Guide) and the last mile or so is fairly steep and steady. Granted, it would be in much better condition than an actual trail but I don't think it really saves any miles for the trip. And I believe in other threads on this topic there was much discussion about very dangerous ice and plenty of spruce traps. Not sure how much "easier" this route would be unless the conditions were ideal.

That is a substantial road walk isn't it? I think 3.6 miles from Cog Road (I'm not in front of my AMC Guide) and the last mile or so is fairly steep and steady. Granted, it would be in much better condition than an actual trail but I don't think it really saves any miles for the trip. And I believe in other threads on this topic there was much discussion about very dangerous ice and plenty of spruce traps. Not sure how much "easier" this route would be unless the conditions were ideal.

I thought it was a pretty hefty walk as well. Thing is, if it's nice weather, why not do the ridge? If one goes out to Jefferson from Jewell, the trail is already packed down for the hike back. If the weather isn't great, I'm not sure Caps Ridge is much of an option anyhow.

THE DIFFERENCE, I think, is that if it isn't easy getting up to the ridge, it isn't going to be all that easy via Jewell either, and here, Caps Ridge might offer an easier option.

I suppose if there were a lot of snow, hiking out via the road, breaking trail up to Jefferson, and then returning via the same route (2.5 miles one way of "trail" plus a road walk packed down, most likely, by snowmobiliers) could be easier than breaking trail for 5.5 miles, with significant time above treeline.

I'm hoping to attempt Jefferson again after Thanksgiving, via Jewell, hopefully under bluebird skies and no wind, with enough snow to spend the entire trip in snowshoes. This is mostly academic.

With that in mind, assuming the road is closed, I guess the driving question is: under what conditions might one have an easier time hoofing it over to the Caps Ridge parking lot and doing Caps Ridge versus Jewell Trail?

Brian

I do not think the road would be easier then the Jewell. The main reason I would avoid it verse the trail, is the snowmobiles. I do not like being near them when hiking and they run that road like mad. In addition, I've seen the snow on the Jewell consolidate to make the ascent easy, wind blown snow makes for great climbing. The Caps ridge even if you could get to it, would not have the advantage of being "broken" out, it could be tough to break that trail, a ridge in that area could drift over considerably. I do think it would be a worthwhile endeavor, just for the sake of doing the route in the winter, but I fail to see any scenario, where it would be easier then the Jewell. Even if it was a real lean snow year, the Jewell in lean conditions is easy as pie.

Remember not long ago that Base Station Road was not plowed, forcing Jefferson in winter to come up from the Appalachia/Lowes side, crossing through the Edmand's Col wind tunnel and turning many hikers around. The Jewell to Jefferson, while long and exposed, is not steep and is well-used. The Caps could be icy. The big danger of Jewell-Jefferson is that the snowfields could hide spruce traps and/or you could slide a ways in the right conditions. The three trips I've made to Jefferson in winter have involved the Jewell and snow fields below Clay and have not proven dangerous.

Tim

Remember not long ago that Base Station Road was not plowed, forcing Jefferson in winter to come up from the Appalachia/Lowes side, crossing through the Edmand's Col wind tunnel and turning many hikers around. The Jewell to Jefferson, while long and exposed, is not steep and is well-used. The Caps could be icy. The big danger of Jewell-Jefferson is that the snowfields could hide spruce traps and/or you could slide a ways in the right conditions. The three trips I've made to Jefferson in winter have involved the Jewell and snow fields below Clay and have not proven dangerous.

Tim

What was considered to be the pre-Cog lot default route? Lowes Path/Raymond Path/Gulfside/Jefferson Loop? If I ever do Jefferson in Winter I would like to take the traditional route but I seem to recall in prior threads that this way was fairly dangerous in and above Edmands Col due to major snow drifts, avalanches, etc. Have you ever done that route? The Castle Trail seems like it would be a nice and direct way to hit Jefferson but do enough people do it that it is broken out? The grades on the cone on Castle are not as steep as the more Easterly routes (not sure how that changes with snowfields on it). Someone had mentioned (either here or Facebook, I forget) that Castle Trail is pretty windswept and the snow is hardpacked and was a fairly comfortable route with crampons or good spikes.

Curious your feedback on best "non-Jewell" Jefferson route in Winter.

What was considered to be the pre-Cog lot default route? Lowes Path/Raymond Path/Gulfside/Jefferson Loop? If I ever do Jefferson in Winter I would like to take the traditional route but I seem to recall in prior threads that this way was fairly dangerous in and above Edmands Col due to major snow drifts, avalanches, etc. Have you ever done that route? The Castle Trail seems like it would be a nice and direct way to hit Jefferson but do enough people do it that it is broken out? The grades on the cone on Castle are not as steep as the more Easterly routes (not sure how that changes with snowfields on it). Someone had mentioned (either here or Facebook, I forget) that Castle Trail is pretty windswept and the snow is hardpacked and was a fairly comfortable route with crampons or good spikes.

Curious your feedback on best "non-Jewell" Jefferson route in Winter.

I've actually done both in winter and really enjoyed it. I never felt in danger. I had to break the trail only once [Castle Trail] in those days before the Jewell Trail approach was feasible.

Given that a lot of people are now using the Jewell Trail it's more likely than before than you will have to break out Castle Trail. That said, I have always loved the Castle Trail approach that has more sun, more views and more adventure!

What was considered to be the pre-Cog lot default route? Lowes Path/Raymond Path/Gulfside/Jefferson Loop?

From Mohamed's Site
Traditionally, most winter hikers attempted Mount Jefferson by the Lowe's Path, Randolph Path, Gulfside and Mt. Jefferson Loop route. This involves about 1.3 miles above treeline, with great exposure to the winds. The area around Edmunds Col is notorious for its winds; many a disappointed winter peakbagger will tell you: "I have bagged Edmunds Col three (or whatever the number may be) times", meaning that s/he was unable to go beyond it. The final climb to the summit goes over a rather steep snowfield, be sure you know how to self-arrest!

I have only been there in winter via Jewell, sorry.

Tim

In truth, I almost always hike Jefferson as part of a traverse. A nice option is to head up Lowes Path, drop gear at Grey Knob, hike up Madison and Adams, stay and Grey Knob, then head over Jefferson and onward the next morning. Excellent bang for the buck, and the second morning, you already have several hours' of elevation gain behind you, starting that high up.

I have attempted the approach from Gray Knob to Edmunds Col via Randolph path long ago and got turned around by high winds and cold. I think most folks would include a overnight at Gray Knob in the picture. The Castle trail also got a lot of use but it too has significant exposure to W/NW winds with few options to bail.

Prior to the base road being officially plowed and open, the cog crew would plow Mt Clinton road and then base road to the base station. It was gated on weekends but the gates were open during the week. I expect more than a few folks bagged Jefferson via this method.

I've actually done both in winter and really enjoyed it. I never felt in danger. I had to break the trail only once [Castle Trail] in those days before the Jewell Trail approach was feasible.

Given that a lot of people are now using the Jewell Trail it's more likely than before than you will have to break out Castle Trail. That said, I have always loved the Castle Trail approach that has more sun, more views and more adventure!

Do they plow the Bowman lot? How is that river crossing early on - I assume it gets bridged/frozen? I love the Castle Trail and that would be a fun ascent.

Also, did you take Castle Trail over the actual Castles or did you go along side? I had read somebodies trip report last year or year before about going alongside the Castles because it was smoother and the snow gets so hard spruce traps weren't a concern. Didn't sound right to me but I have zero experience in that area in the Winter.