Starr King Trail: Are There Cliffs Affording Good Southward Views Near Trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Hiking Starr King Trail this summer, I was tempted, by on the ground observations and by Google Earth, to look and see if there are views to be had, couple hundred yards east of the chimney in the old clearing, about 100' south of the trail. Per GE, it looks like there's a sharp drop-off there, steep enough to perhaps yield a view southward. Has anyone checked this out? There's a spot where the trail comes pretty close to this putative cliff. Looking through the forest, it appeared there might be a good view from there. Per MyAltitude app, the nearest approach of the trail to this possible view was at 44.4347 N and 71.4292 W, at about 3807'.

I was racing against sundown and so didn't go check. Has anyone here explored this?

Last edited:
There may be one up the path behind my dog. It looked bright and promising up there. I did not follow it as I was heading to the Weeks and didn't want to take the time.

IMG_2083.jpg

There may be one up the path behind my dog. It looked bright and promising up there. I did not follow it as I was heading to the Weeks and didn't want to take the time.

View attachment 5367

Interesting. I didn't see much of an opening back that way. Presumably that would lead to a north or NE directional view. The possible cliffs I'm talking about face south.

In 2008 on or near the summit of Starr King there was this limited view south. I believe it was from atop a large rock there. In 2012 there was no hint of this at all.

Cabot%252520%252526%252520Waumbek%252520Hikes%252520020.jpg

Behind Yogi's dog was a shortcut to the Starr King trail, and an obstructed view towards Waumbek - not worth taking out my camera. Also, there was a Spruce Grouse all puffed up from the cold:

waumbek-20151003-3384_v1.jpg

The grouse was worth taking out my camera.