Fatality on Falling Waters Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a tough one.

There were cars lined up for about 1/3 of mile in either direction along the parkway later in the afternoon and Saturday morning was quite cold and damp.

I am surprised there weren't more rescues - Saturday was pretty slippery due to the light snow on the trail in the Galehead/Garfield area and there were a tremendous number of people.

I am surprised there weren't more rescues - Saturday was pretty slippery due to the light snow on the trail in the Galehead/Garfield area and there were a tremendous number of people.

Someone posted another thread somewhere that had quite a few incidents for the weekend. There were a few on Washington, the "mishap" with the lightless family on Percy and some others. Most were of the stupid variety but one or two were legitimate injury problems from well prepared hikers. Considering the insane number of people tromping through the woods over the holiday weekend you would think it should have been worse.

" Also, a Canadian hiker was rescued in Franconia Notch on the Greenleaf Trai after she was separated from her group and had taken a wrong trail, Monday, just after midnight."

I was on Franconia Ridge this past weekend as the Forest Service/AMC/ACT Alpine Steward volunteer. counted over 840 people. I find that many people are in large groups >10. there is one hike leader that has the map and the itinerary. People can easily seperate from the group and head toward Garefield or in this case down Greenleaf. The ridge was so busy people are hiking in everydirection many are ill prepared.

. there is one hike leader that has the map

[]

anyone can download & print out a minimal trail map of any of the 4k trails from many of the hiking websites (such as 4000 footers.com).